Basketball and thumb injuries go hand in hand, so the best that you can do is be ready before it happens or somehow find a way to still be productive despite a sore thumb. How can you do that exactly? Well, let’s start by talking about the best thumb braces for basketball.
You are well aware that you use your hand almost 100% when you’re playing hoops. Of course, some of these activities, such as high-fiving teammates and shooting, are less likely to cause a thumb injury than, say, reaching in for a steal. For some reason, it’s the thumb that is the usual casualty in these freak injuries. We don’t like to state the obvious, but without a fully functional thumb, you better not play at all. If you really want to, then thumb braces are the answer.
If you want to get back to playing basketball, get our top pick for the best thumb braces here.
Our Favorites for the Best Thumb Braces for Basketball
For a thumb brace to work, it should be the perfect combination of pricing, design, support, and comfort. Without batting an eyelash, the Velpeau Wrist Brace with Thumb Spica Splint offers each of these features and more.
What Makes It Unique:
- Impeccable design with comfortable thumb and palm rest
- Available in three sizes and each size have a short and regular version
- It is designed for comfort, making it the best option if you want to sleep with a thumb brace on.
There’s not much to complain about the Velpeau Wrist Brace with Thumb Spica Splint, but if there is one, it’s the fact that it would not wholly immobilize the thumb like a Spica Splint naturally would. Other than that, this one does it work as advertised.
Why Choose The Velpeau Wrist Brace with Thumb Spica Splint:
- Doctors and physical therapists highly recommend it.
- Works with a lot of thumb and wrist conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome, De Quervain’s, tendinitis, and even arthritic thumbs.
- Many who purchased said this works like a charm since it can make wrist tendinitis pain in the wrist go away in as little as 30 minutes.
- 【PHENOMENAL PROTECTION】Velpeau Wrist Brace with Thumb Support applies uniform pressure on the wrist and first metacarpal joint, which provides ultimate pain relief from various ailments, including tendinitis, tendovaginitis, post-traumatic treatment of moderate to severe sprains, carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS), activated osteoarthritis or arthritis of the wrist, instability and functional overloading in the wrist, radial nerve palsy of hand, post-operative and post-removal of casting or splinting.
- 【UNIQUE DESIGN & PERFECT MATCH】This Carpal Tunnel Brace with two soft thumb ties are made according to the physiological curve of the thumb, which can adjust the tightness freely and the flexibility is not affected when the thumb is stabilized. The spoon-shaped aluminum alloy palm and wrist support on the palm face has high strength support and can stabilize the wrist joint. Two flexible support bars on the back of the hand can provide uniform support to let it more stable.
- 【MORE SUITABLE FOR SLEEP】This Thumb Spica Wrist Splint is filled with sponge without latex material. It's light and breathable, soft and skin-friendly, absorbent quickly and keep the wrist dry and odorless, which will keep comfortable in continuous use and reduce the wrist pain without affecting your activities. The packaging is delicate and can be given as a gift to spouse, parents, relatives and friends. The product is available in different sizes for both men and women.
There are products that you can readily see how much thought they put into it, and the Zamst Thumb Guard is one of those. Yes, it comes at a steep price compared to other thumb braces, but it has features that others don’t.
What Makes It Unique:
- Equipped with i-Fit and Exo-Grid technology for a superior custom fit
- Has a thermoplastic insert that keeps your thumbs warm
- Comes with a Pro version that offers more reliable support
As mentioned, the Zamst Thumb Guard costs up to thrice as much as a regular thumb brace, but for playing basketball, it does offer the best support, in our humble opinion. One purchaser said he wore the Zamst Thumb Guard for playing pickup basketball three times a week, and it worked out tremendously for him. This could also be the case for you!
Why Choose The Zamst Thumb Brace and Thumb Guard:
- As one user commented, its comfortability and durability did not waver even if he wore it every single day for a year.
- Aside from playing basketball, this product is also recommended for baseball catchers who had to work with pitchers who throw constant fastballs and a lot of sinkers.
- The technology it comes with offers a perfect 1:1 fit because it molds to the shape of your thumb.
- EITHER THUMB: Comfortable athletic guard fits right or left thumbs for ultimate versatility
- STABILITY: Keep any thumb injury stabilized during daily activities and at night during sleep
- PROTECTION: Reduce risk of further injury with reinforced guards that enable natural movement
Our Runner-Up for the Best Thumb Braces for Basketball
Well, it does help to know that you can trust the manufacturer of this reversible thumb stabilizer. Mueller Sports Medicine’s founder Curt Mueller was the one who coined the term “sports medicine” since he was a basketball player and did have a pharmacology degree. History alone should be one thing that’s going for them. Aside from that, here’s why you should take a closer look at Mueller Sports Medicine Reversible Thumb Stabilizer.
What Makes It Unique:
- It’s easy to put on and easy to put off.
- Made with breathable fabric and not with airtight material such as latex or rubber.
- It comes with adjustable straps for a more customized fit.
One possible drawback for the Mueller Sports Medicine Reversible Thumb Stabilizer is the wrist strap. Many who have tried the products raved about how comfortable it is and how quickly it supports your injured thumbs. However, the wrist strap has almost no support, and you may have to adjust it often to bring it back to a more comfortable location.
Why You Should Choose Mueller Sports Medicine Reversible Thumb Stabilizer:
- As the name suggests, it could fit either of your hands.
- The material won’t get your hand stinky and sweaty.
- One purchaser said they did work as soon as he put them on.
- Breathable fabrics for extended wear
- Two stays provede maximum support
- Three adjustable straps for custom fit
Our Value Pick for the Best Thumb Braces for Basketball
Another model that made its way to our most recommended thumb braces for basketball is the Vive Arthritis Thumb Splint. It provides the best bang for the buck and has solid breathability, support, and comfort without ruining your budget.
For its price, you couldn’t ask for a better thumb brace that relieves the pain of most thumb injuries and conditions. What’s best is, it’s comfortable enough to wear while you sleep!
What Makes It Unique:
- Its fasteners are non-slip.
- It can be used for either hand.
- Made out of breathable neoprene
Usually, Neoprene material would be too hot and makes you sweaty, but somehow Vive found a way to make it work. The only drawback that we see is that some people may be sensitive to the Neoprene material. But if you’re not, then this product is worth every penny.
Why Choose The Vive Arthritis Thumb Splint:
- It fits even for people with small hands.
- It requires no break-in time, which means, the product works as soon as you put them on.
- Priced very reasonably, in fact, it costs the cheapest among all the thumb braces in the list.
Why You Should Invest in Quality Thumb Braces for Basketball
The problem with sports injuries is that if you succumb to one, you’re more susceptible to future harm. That’s also the case for thumb injuries. That is why if you already have one, it’s always recommended that you prevent impending mishaps by investing in thumb support bands or quality thumb braces for basketball.
Some who have used and purchased thumb braces even played even if their injuries have not fully healed yet. That’s not recommended in any way, but ultimately, that’s your prerogative. The point is, though, that these thumb braces work well enough to protect a not-so-serious injury and may prevent such mishaps in the future.
FAQ on the Best Thumb Braces for Basketball
What are the Benefits of Thumb Braces?
Thumb braces are the quickest way to alleviate pain and improves the movement of injured thumbs. The injuries to thumbs are not only isolated to sprains and inflamed tendons, but carpal tunnel syndromes and other nerve problems also go along with it.
Wearing a thumb brace not only reduces pain but will also help get rid of the pain by rendering the injured thumb immovable. The movement restriction of the injured part promotes blood circulation and ultimately contributes to healing. Whether or not you have to wear thumb braces long-term is up to your needs and the recommendation of your physician.
Who Should Get Thumb Braces?
Older people with arthritic hands and a lot of thumb conditions are the ones that will benefit from using thumb braces, but it doesn’t stop there. Young kids and adults who play sports or do a lot of physical work are all vulnerable to thumb injuries. Therefore, as per the recommendation of a physiotherapist, they should get a thumb brace to help with their therapy or prevent future injuries.
What Factors Should You Consider Before Shopping for the Best Thumb Braces?
There are a lot of choices out there for the best thumb braces for basketball and other sports. Still, to prevent further confusion, the factors that you should consider before buying one are the comfort level, adjustability, material, the ease of maintenance, and how strong the degree of support is.
How to Choose the Best Thumb Braces for Basketball For You
A proper consideration of your needs plus the factors mentioned above are excellent ways to start if you need a thumb brace for your condition. The thumb brace you choose should fit comfortably, won’t get you all sweaty and smelly, easy to clean, while being flexible and rigid enough to support basketball movements. These are all very critical, especially if you are playing basketball.
Does that sound like a lot? Don’t worry. With our recommended thumb braces for basketball, these characteristics are all covered. There may only be slight differences here and there, but as far as the basic features are concerned, these products have them down to pat.
Wrapping Things Up: The Best Thumb Braces for Basketball
In closing, here’s a table of the best thumb braces we looked at today:
While we all resent injuries, especially to the thumbs, we could not prevent them all while playing sports. That’s an occupational hazard if you will. With that said, we can do something to help heal the injuries faster or prevent mishaps from happening in the future. One of the best ways to do that is by investing in the best thumb braces for basketball.
For our favorites, the Velpeau Wrist Brace with Thumb Spica Splint and the Zamst Thumb Brace make our list for different reasons. We prefer the Zamst Thumb Brace for the technology it carries, but we also understand that the price may not be for everyone.
The Mueller Sports Medicine Reversible Thumb Stabilizer gets the nod as a runner-up choice partially because of the company’s history. With that being said, it does check most of the boxes you should consider, so it’s a legitimate option if you need a quality thumb brace.
Last but not least, the Vive Arthritis Thumb Splint makes the cut as a value choice because of its price and overall quality. Its performance is comparable to the favorites in certain aspects at a fraction of the cost.
Overall, you can choose any of the recommended best thumb braces for basketball, and you’ll be ready to go. Personal preferences and budget will eventually win out, as the case for many products. Still, if we’re talking sheer quality relative to the price, you’d be hard-pressed to find much better thumb braces in the market than what we have here.
Did you find this helpful? Then also check out other basketball gear reviews here
You may also like these other basketball gear reviews: