Basketball training programs are now evolving and improving to the point that it is now far more advanced today than it was a decade ago. Different coaches are now seeing the value of using tools and gear that can help improve various parts of a player’s game. This includes ball-handling and passing, which can both be improved by using basketball training gloves. In this post, we’ll go over the best basketball training gloves for dribbling.
Coaches are now starting to see the wonders of basketball training gloves when it comes to improving a player’s dribbling skills. These gloves are backed by science and by years of research and development. In that case, there is no reason why any respectable coach would not try to incorporate such tools in player development.
Here are some of the basketball training gloves that you might find interesting enough if you happen to be in the market for these tools.
If you want to get back to playing basketball, get our top pick basketball training gloves for dribbling here.
Our Favorite for the Best Basketball Training Gloves for Dribbling (the best out of the bunch)
PowerHandz Weighted Anti-Grip Basketball Gloves
PowerHandz is one of the two giants in the basketball training gloves industry. Since you really cannot go wrong with either PowerHandz and its major competitor, we regard this product as 1A while the other is 1B. It really depends on preference and on what works for you when you choose between PowerHandz and its rival.
Anyway, what makes PowerHandz so effective is that it makes everything so difficult for the player to dribble the ball. The palm surface is so smooth and reduces friction to a minimum. This will make it difficult for you to actually grip the ball and will more than likely improve the way you catch and handle the ball during training sessions.
Aside from that, PowerHandz is not just a weighted basketball training glove but is also made to distribute weight at the top part of the hand to make it more challenging for the player to dribble during practice sessions. This also improves the hand and arm muscles while also making your hand faster and more agile than ever. That is why players seem more confident with their ball-handling skills whenever they are dribbling without these two-pound weighted gloves on.
If you want the perfect analogy, using these gloves is similar to walking with leg weights on a frozen driveway during the middle of the winter. PowerHandz Weighted Anti-Grip Basketball Gloves simply makes it a point to add a certain degree of difficulty in the way you handle and dribble the ball during training sessions.
Even NBA point guard Isaiah Thomas, who is one of the better ball-handlers in the league, was able to develop explosive and agile ball-handling skills by using PowerHandz. If it helped in developing an NBA player into an All-Star, there is no reason why these basketball training gloves will not work for you.
What Makes the PowerHandz Basketball Training Gloves Unique:
- The palm surface is actually slippery because it decreases friction to make it more difficult to handle and catch the ball.
- Comes with the perfect kind of weight distribution for a more challenging way of dribbling the ball.
- Used by NBA All-Star players.
Why Choose the PowerHandz Basketball Training Gloves:
- Great for those who love the challenge of catching the ball like your hands were made of pure slippery ice with oil on the surface.
- The weight distribution makes it possible for you to develop hand and arm muscles meant for improving your dribbling skills.
- Good for players who want to improve hand agility and hand-eye coordination because of how the weighted feature makes everything more challenging.
- TRAINING: Our patented weighted anti-grip basketball training gloves are designed to improve dribbling, ball handling, hand speed, and arm muscles which leads to better performance, faster speed, strength, dexterity, and agility. Weighted anti-grip gloves can be utilized anywhere including at home workouts and practice sessions
- FUNDAMENTALS: Weighted anti-grip basketball training equipment has anti-friction material on the palm to make it more difficult to handle the ball in training, which has been shown to improve performance in games
- PRO QUALITY: Each pair of weighted anti-grip gloves has high quality leather material on the palm for top level performance. Iron sand is strategically placed on the top side of the hand with breathable fabric and an adjustable Velcro strap to provide comfort and support for your wrist
Ball Hog Gloves
Because there has always been an ongoing debate as to which between PowerHandz and Ball Hog is the better brand, we would like to say that Ball Hog is considered 1B as it has the quality and the value that allows it to stand toe to toe with PowerHandz as the more affordable yet still very much a really good brand.
Ball Hog Gloves comes in two variants. The first one is the unweighted version and the second one is the better version, which is the weighted one. What makes the weighted variant the better of the two is that it actually is the one that is more effective at improving your dribbling skills as opposed to the unweighted version, which are simply gloves with no friction.
Similar to PowerHandz, Ball Hog comes with a no-friction feature that allows you to train your grip and catching skills because you do not have the luxury of friction aiding you in handling the ball. Meanwhile, Ball Hog also weighs two pounds but you can feel much of the weight near your fingers and around your wrists. This makes it even more challenging for you because you need to emphasize on strengthening those parts of your hand if you want to improve your dribbling skills.
Most players that have tried using Ball Hog Gloves have seen notable improvements in their dribbling skills because of how it makes it more challenging for them to dribble using these gloves. This has also coincided with a remarkable improvement in their confidence once they take the gloves off and realize that they are much more agile and faster with their dribbles.
What Makes the Ball Hog Training Gloves Unique:
- Comes in unweighted and weighted versions to give you more options and variety when choosing the right gloves.
- Its resistance is more focused near the finger and the wrist areas to improve your strength in those areas.
- Effective at improving hand-eye coordination whenever you are catching the ball or training your ball-handling skills.
Why Choose the Ball Hog Training Gloves:
- They are very similar to PowerHandz but are actually more affordable if price is an issue for you.
- These gloves are good for those who want to improve finger and wrist strength when dribbling.
- You can opt for the unweighted version if you prefer to focus more on dribbling without the aid of friction instead of improving hand strength and agility.
- Anti grip and weighted basketball gloves.
- Help improve your ball handling and catching.
- Basketball training gloves that help strengthen your fingers and hands.
The Runners-Up for the Best Basketball Training Gloves for Dribbling (still good but a bit lacking)
No products found.
Elite Handlz is one of the other competitors in the market but is not as popular or as good in quality as PowerHandz or Ball Hog. Nevertheless, you have to take into consideration that this product is a lot more affordable than the other two competitors and will be more than good enough for players and coaches who do not have the budget to spend for either PowerHandz or Ball Hog.
Similar to its more expensive competitors, No products found. comes with an anti-grip feature that makes it more difficult for you to palm the ball and handle it well enough unless you improve your handling and catching. This allows you to train your dribbling without the help of the friction between your hand and the ball.
However, what makes this product different is that it does not come with a weighted feature that would have aided in improving hand agility and overall strength. But that does not take away the fact that it is still a good product that is made from durable materials such as neoprene.
The No products found. it comes with also allows for a more difficult time for your fingers to move around. As such, it still makes it for a good pair of training gloves that will allow you to become more confident with your ball-handling skills after some time of using these gloves for practices.
What Makes the Elite Handlz Ball Handling Gloves Unique:
- Reduces friction between your hands and the ball at the maximum.
- Comes with No products found., which makes it more difficult for you to move your hand around for that added challenge whenever you are dribbling.
Why Choose the Elite Handlz Ball Handling Gloves:
- They are good alternatives if you are not willing to spend for the more expensive top-of-the-line products.
- The gloves are not weighted, which makes them good for those who are merely looking for gloves that allow for
- No products found..
No products found.
Silfrae Basketball Training Gloves
Another cheap alternative to the more expensive training gloves on the market, the Silfrae Basketball Dribble Handling Training Gloves are good for those who are not willing to break the bank just to improve their dribbling skills. However, keep in mind that they are not as good in terms of quality and effectiveness as the other products on this list.
The Silfrae are, nevertheless, still useful in improving your dribbling skills. The finger-less design looks makes it look more like lifting gloves as these basketball training gloves focus more on the palm area, which has a bounce pad, to improve the way you catch the ball. The bounce pad works by bouncing the ball back after a pass to make sure that you are able to catch it well before it bounces off your hand.
When you are dribbling the ball, the bounce pad also allows the ball to bounce up and down faster. The added challenge of a ball that is moving so fast makes you a more precise dribbler regardless of how quickly the ball is bouncing. You will find yourself being able to perform quick dribble moves while improving your confidence as a ball-handler when you are not wearing the gloves.
If you are worried about how long these gloves will last, you need not make durability an issue because these are made with a heavy-duty mesh cloth that will surely last for a very long time. On top of that, the material is also breathable enough to allow you to train your dribbles for an extended period of time without tiring out your hand due to heat exhaustion.
What Makes the Silfrae Basketball Dribble Handling Training Gloves Unique:
- The design is different from the other competitors on the market because it is finger-less and it comes with a bounce pad on the palm area.
- Its bounce pad allows the ball to bounce right back so that you will improve your catching skills as well as your ability to dribble the ball fast.
Why Choose the Silfrae Basketball Dribble Handling Training Gloves:
- They are affordable while offering you a different kind of training compared to the other basketball training gloves on this list.
- These gloves are ideal for players who want to dribble the ball faster without putting a lot of strain on their wrists.
- Size: XL: Palm lenth for 3.34"/ 8.5cm - 3.74"/ 9,9cm
- Material: durable heavy duty adjustable breathable mesh cloth provide comfortable fits.
- Improve your ability to catch the basketball and be a ball handler.
The Value Pick for the Best Basketball Training Gloves for Dribbling
Linkin Sport Basketball Gloves
If you are really looking to go cheap without the added benefits you will get from the other products on this list, the Linkin Sport Basketball Glove is the cheapest one you can get in the market today but it still can be quite useful if you want to improve your dribbles.
The Linkin Sport Basketball Gloves is similar to Silfrae in the sense that it comes in a finger-less design with a pad right at the center to aid you in improving your catching and dribbling. The pad in these gloves seem to be bigger than the ones on Silfrae and are much more challenging for those who want to improve their catching skills because of how the pad puts a larger area between your fingers and the ball right when the ball is about to bounce.
In terms of training your dribbling, we did not find a lot of differences between Silfrae and Linkin since they are both effective at making you react quicker to a ball that bounces faster. The pad separates your palm and the ball so that you will be putting more emphasis on using your fingers when dribbling.
Meanwhile, the material is quite good because of how effective it is at absorbing sweat and excess moisture. Overall, it is a good choice for those who are not willing to spend much and is a good alternative for the Silfrae gloves if you are not willing to shell out a few extra dollars for the more expensive option.
What Makes the Linkin Sport Basketball Glove Unique:
- It puts a large area of separation between the ball and your palms so that your fingers will be doing the heavy lifting whenever you are training.
- The breathable and moisture-absorbent design allows you to stay dry whenever you are practicing your dribbles.
Why Choose the Linkin Sport Basketball Glove:
- One of the better alternatives on the market if you are looking for something cheap when training your dribbles.
- Effective for players who want to focus more on training their fingers when dribbling.
- You will get the full refund from LINKIN SPORT when you have any unsatisfied.
- Material: Leica fabric, Weight: 75g.
- The palm of the hand is designed to separate the basketball and correct the golfer.
FAQ on Basketball Training Gloves for Dribbling
How Do Basketball Training Gloves Work?
Different basketball training gloves actually have different ways of working. However, the top two brands are very similar to one another in terms of their approach to improving your dribbles. Those brands do so in two ways:
- They strengthen the muscles in your wrists, fingers, and forearms by adding resistance to those areas so that you will be forced to put more emphasis on those muscles.
- Their friction-less design takes away your natural grip of the ball so that it will be more difficult for you to catch and handle the ball without the aid of the friction between it and your hand.
What Are the Different Types of Basketball Training Gloves?
There are usually three main types of basketball training gloves you can find in the market:
Unweighted anti-grip gloves – These gloves focus more on taking away your natural grip of the ball using a friction-less design so that you will be more challenged when you are catching and dribbling the ball as if your hands have oil on them.
Weighted anti-grip gloves – These are similar to the first option but they come with weights or resistance to make it more challenging for the key areas of your hand to function whenever you are dribbling.
Shooting gloves – Shooting gloves are different compared to dribbling gloves because the focus of these products is to aid the player’s follow-through while also correcting the shooting form.
What Differences are there in Sizing?
Sizing cannot be overlooked whenever you are looking for the best training gloves because you have to choose the ones that give your hand a snug fit. PowerHandz has sizes that range from hand sizes of 6.5 inches to 9 inches. Meanwhile, Ball Hog’s sizes are much more precise because it factors in palm width and length.
Powerhandz vs a: Which Should You Choose?
The two main players on the market today are PowerHandz and Ball Hog, which are both head and shoulders above the rest of the competition. That is why we consider these gloves as 1A and 1B because they are so similar to one another and are both really good products when it comes to improving your dribbles at the end of the day.
Both PowerHandz and Ball Hog come with a friction-less design that we believe is similar. Meanwhile, the PowerHandz’s resistance is focused more on the top of the hand while Ball Hog distributes the weights near the fingers and the wrist area. But you could hardly feel the difference in weight distribution as both these gloves are so effective for training.
Nevertheless, we give the slight nod to PowerHandz because of its overall premium look on top of how it gives you a more natural feel in your hand due to its design. On top of that, it actually has the backings of NBA players who have all improved their dribbling skills by using this product.
But Ball Hogs actually wins out in terms of value because it is more affordable than PowerHandz and also comes in an unweighted variant. This gives you a wider variety of choice whenever you are choosing the best basketball training gloves for you.
How to Choose the Best Basketball Training Gloves for Dribbling for You
Here are the considerations you should look at whenever you are shopping for the best basketball training gloves for you:
Weighted vs unweighted
When choosing basketball training gloves, you have to decide whether you want the weighted or the unweighted ones. Weighted variants not only train your catching and dribbling but also improve your hand strength and agility. Meanwhile, unweighted options focus more on your ability to catch and dribble without the aid of friction.
Ball Hogs gives you the option of choosing between weighted and unweighted variants. Meanwhile, PowerHandz comes in only the weighted version.
Knowing where the resistance is focused is important because this is where you will know which parts of your hand are trained and strengthened. More than likely, most training gloves will focus on the fingers and wrists but the weight distribution might have slight differences from glove to glove.
The materials used on the gloves are essential whenever you are taking into consideration how often and how long you will be using these gloves. Your gloves’ materials should allow it to stay durable for a very long time while also offering a breathable fabric so that you can use the gloves for prolonged periods of time.
Summary of the Best Basketball Training Gloves for Dribbling
Wrapping everything up, here are the best basketball training gloves we went over today:
When you look at the playing field for basketball training gloves, it really is simply a debate between PowerHandz and Ball Hogs because both of those products offer you a similarly high-quality experience for whenever you are looking to improve your dribbling and handling skills.
We prefer PowerHandz for its slight edge in look and for its more natural-feeling design. However, Ball Hog offers two varieties that are much more affordable compared to PowerHandz.
But, truth be told, you might not be able to afford both of those products. That is why we listed No products found. as a possible alternative for you in case both PowerHandz and Ball Hogs are too expensive for you. Elite Handlz might not be as good as its competitors but it is a budget alternative for the thrifty player.
In cases where you really cannot afford to spend but still want to improve your handles, both Silfrae and Linkin offer gloves that give you a different kind of training experience but are still very much useful for whenever you want to focus more on improving putting more emphasis on your fingers and wrists when dribbling the ball.
All that said, we hope that our review helps in not only making you decide which basketball training gloves to buy but also in turning you into a better ball-handler.
Because you read this post, you may also enjoy our post on the best basketball training equipment here.
Check out our other basketball gear reviews here:
> The Best Basketball Return Systems