Basketball is about having an edge over the opposition. Many trainers emphasize running drills, individual workouts, and the like, so how do you exactly gain an advantage over other basketball players? Having the best basketball training equipment is not a bad idea.
Here’s the deal: We know everyone is on a tight budget. We also know that getting good at your craft is not going to be a work of divine intervention. There are no miracle products. No shortcuts.
With that being said, this review aims to gather a list of the best basketball training equipment for you. There will be different points of emphasis with regards to training, so hopefully, we can help you find the best basketball training equipment for you.
If you want to get back to playing basketball, get our top pick for the best basketball training equipment here.
Our Favorites for the Best Basketball Training Equipment
In our humble opinion, the best basketball training equipment are those that allow you to continue improving your skills even when you are alone. That’s not going to be the case all of the time, but obviously, you can get a head start on the competition by repeating the things you learn in practice by doing it yourself.
What basketball equipment can help you do that?
It’s apparently not a surprise that an actual basketball made it to the list of the best basketball equipment. It’s not a game basketball but a basketball training ball or what many would call a weighted ball.
Practicing with a basketball training ball does improve your ball handling, allowing you to put on more dribbling combinations to attack opponents. It would also help your passing game since a weighted basketball training ball makes you stronger, and it allows you to make longer and more accurate passes with ease.
What Makes It Unique:
- Reasonably priced
- Designed to endure years of dribbling and practice
- Excellent for both indoor and outdoor training
- Comes in a size that perfectly fits young players as well as women
It appears, though, that the Baden SkilCoach Heavy Trainer Rubber Basketball, does have its limitations. In the experiences of many that have tried this basketball training ball, it’s excellent for dribbling exercises but not for shooting. It tends to become deflated and out-of-shape if it hits a blunt corner such as the side of the backboard.
Despite the potential drawback, the Baden SkilCoach basketball training ball remains a must-have. Here are the reasons why:
Why Choose Baden SkilCoach Heavy Trainer Rubber Basketball:
- Many basketball trainers swear that with repeated use, it makes a regular basketball feel like a mere feather in your palm.
- It is made with a quarter of an inch thick of rubber, ensuring its top-notch durability.
- Performs like most of the top brands in half the price
- IMPROVES – Your basketball shooting range, dribbling, and passing skills
- HELPS - Increase strength, muscle memory, and ball handing efficiency
- IDEAL – For any level of indoor or outdoor basketball training
- DURABLE – This basketballs rubber cover was designed to withstand years of dribbling and shooting practice
- AVAILABLE- In Official Size (29. 5”, 40-44 oz. ) and Intermediate Size (28. 5”, 36-40 oz. )
Training basketball won’t be complete without basketball training cones. Again, with the emphasis of training by yourself, the Spalding Basketball Training Cones are an awesome way to continue sharpening your basketball skills by doing drills of any type.
What Makes It Unique:
- Comes in eight cones that you can stack on top of each other for easy storage
- An ideal way to tighten a new basketball player’s fundamentals
- Aside from basketball, you can also use them on agility drills for other sports
What could go wrong in purchasing basketball training cones? Unless you’re a perfectionist (and in that case, you shouldn’t be), the Spalding Basketball Training Cones gets the job done. No more, no less.
Why Choose The Spalding Basketball Training Cones:
- The brand (Spalding) is already a trusted name in basketball
- Its bright orange color makes it highly visible
- Made of hard plastic that lasts a long time
- Great for all sport types
- Ideal for drills on sports fundamentals
- Stackable and easy to store
- Bright colors make it easy to see in fields and on courts
The Runner-Ups for the Best Basketball Training Equipment
From developing skills such as dribbling, passing, and agility, one of the most important aspects of basketball that directly relates to winning is shooting. That’s why in our runner-ups for the best basketball training equipment, we would bring to your attention first this basketball shooting aid:
What Makes It Unique:
- Aside from a couple of lesser-known brands on the market, the AllNet Basketball Shooting Aid is pretty much the only one of its kind.
- It’s user-friendly and can be taken on and off in literally a minute.
- It can be used by a child or an adult, thanks to an adjustable feature for a custom fit.
Everything the AllNet Basketball Shooting Aid AllNet Basketball Shooting Aid can supposedly do sounds like a product of excellent marketing, but it really does help tremendously in developing the shooter’s touch. Aside from some complaints about discomfort and the pricing, the AllNet Basketball Shooting Aid delivers on its promise.
Why Choose The AllNet Basketball Shooting Aid Hoops Training Shooting Device:
- Can help you get out of a shooting slump by allowing you to focus on the basics of how to shoot a basketball
- It has a 1-year warranty although it’s unnecessary given its made out of sturdy ABS plastic
- A must-buy for beginners who have a terrible release
- THE SECRET IS OUT! AllNet Basketball training aid will give you "THE SHOOTERS TOUCH"
- PERFECT FORM ON YOUR SHOT - Designed to speed up the process of muscle memory. PUSHING your fingertips onto the ball raises your palm off of the ball. STOP WASTING YOUR MONEY! - Not all shooting aids are created equal! AllNet is the ONLY one of its kind in the market. Created by a basketball player FOR basketball players who are looking to vastly improve their shooting percentage.
- STRONG AND DURABLE - AllNet is created with super strong high quality ABS plastic. You will not wear this device out, if you do we cover it with a 1 year Warranty.
- BECOME A SHOOTER FASTER- Your shot will improve within 15 minutes of trying AllNet due to the amount of sensory input being received. Improve your shooting percentage now!
- EASY TO USE - Take on and off in 1 minute. Easily adjustable from a child to an adult. Four adjustable levels for hand size and finger size to custom fit your hand.
What Makes It Unique:
- Aside from being a basketball training pad, it can also be used for volleyball blocking drills and as a quarterback pass rush distractor.
- Perfect for any age and any level, whether you’re a beginner, intermediate, or even a pro
- Extends up to 28 inches all in all
Extenders aren’t usually okay when it comes to food, but defender extenders in basketball training is an absolute must. Sure, not everyone can afford them, but if you can, these basketball training pads may be that edge-booster you have been looking for all along.
Why Choose The HoopsKing Defender Extender Basketball Training Pads:
- There is no better way to simulate defenders with length.
- Can help you improve your shooting arch
- Players of any position and size can use it
- SIMULATES TALLER DEFENDERS - The Defender Extender sticks allow a coach, trainer, or partner to simulate a much taller player than you would normally play against.
- BEAT BIGGER PLAYERS - You will really learn to protect the basketball and utilize changing speeds to overcome the increased reach and quickness of the defender.
- FOR ANY POSITION - Whether in the post or driving to the basket, playing against a taller, longer, and more athletic player will require you to outsmart them to beat them.
- OUTSMART YOUR OPPONENT - Once you become inferior athletically, you must become superior mentally if you are going to compete at that level.
- VOLLEYBALL & FOOTBALL - use for volleyball blocking drills and quarterback drills to better simulate a pass rush and bat down balls.
The Value Picks for the Best Basketball Training Equipment
A low budget should not be a reason to stop (or at least slow down) your training, especially so since there are reliable options in the best basketball training equipment value picks department.
What Makes It Unique:
- With the way it’s designed, it will help you to dribble by relying on the ball’s feel rather than your sight.
- Comes with an elastic wrap and soft plastic for superior comfort
- It is lightweight, thus making it easy even for a child to use
How expensive can a pair of goggles be, right? And since it’s the cheapest product among the recommended best basketball training equipment, it may also have the lowest quality among the bunch.
Even so, the SKLZ Court Vision Basketball Dribbling Goggles does what it’s supposed to do. Because of its purpose and simplicity, we recommend having these goggles as part of the top 10 basketball training programs for beginners.
Why Choose The SKLZ Court Vision Basketball Dribbling Goggles:
- Perfect ball-handling tool for beginners and intermediates alike
- With the way basketball is played now, these can be used by any player of any size and position.
- It is the lowest-priced product in the list but also one of the most important.
- Forces player to handle the ball with his or her head up to survey the court
- Improves reaction time against defenders
- Increases confidence on the court
- Adjustable elastic strap and soft flexible plastic rims for a comfortable fit
What Makes It Unique:
- It was designed by one of the most trusted basketball glove designers in the business.
- Perfect for beginners since it will teach them the techniques of proper ball handling
- Comes at half the price of its primary competition on the market
The drawback of the Ball Hog Ball Handling Gloves is that most of its weight is not distributed but feels concentrated on the wrist strap area. Still, it’s not something that you should make a big deal of.
Why Choose The Ball Hog Ball Handling Gloves:
- Want to improve on hand speed and strength? Go check this product out!
- It can be used on both team and individual drills, whether that’s passing or dribbling.
- Become a better ball handler.
- Improve your ability to catch the basketball.
Why You Should Invest in Quality Basketball Training Equipment
There is only so much that a pair of sneakers, a basketball, and a hoop can do to improve your basketball skills. Taking time to go practice in the courts will surely help, no doubt, but enlisting the assistance of the best basketball training equipment can help you refine individual skills such as ball handling, passing, shooting, and agility.
Now, you may think it’s kind of expensive (doing some DIY basketball training equipment project can be a solution), but everything right now comes at a price. Basketball training is no different. What’s the bottom line? If you seriously want to take your game to the next level, there are worse options out there than buying some quality basketball training equipment.
FAQ on the Best Basketball Training Equipment
What are Some of the Equipment Used in Basketball?
At the most basic level, you need a ball and a hoop, but in more competitive levels of basketball, you will also need scoreboards, score sheets, clocks (game and shot), and possibly whistles. If you are playing, then you should have appropriate basketball sneakers, shorts, socks, and jerseys.
What are some Tools to Help Improve Your Shooting Skills?
They say practice makes perfect, and that concept can also be applied to basketball. However, honing your shooting skills with the help of a basketball shooting aid can take your sniping game to a whole different level.
Different basketball shooting aids have a different purpose, but they have the same ultimate goal, and this is to help improve your shooting skills. Some like the SKLZ ShotLoc Basketball Shooting Trainer (currently unavailable) helps promote the proper release and follow-through. A jump shot strap, on the other hand, helps your shoot by training your off-hand to not interfere with your shooting hand. This results in a much better line in your shot while developing much-needed strength on that shooting hand.
What’s the Importance of Having the Appropriate Basketball Training Equipment?
Without a shadow of a doubt, having the appropriate basketball training equipment produces an enormous impact on your overall skill level. Since the best basketball training equipment allows you to train better and harder, this will also result in a much better individual and team play.
How to Choose the Best Basketball Training Equipment
It’s imperative to figure out the intended purpose of the training equipment. As previously mentioned, with basketball now evolving into a positionless game, you may need to polish every single one of your basketball skills. Whatever the case, two of the most important factors to consider in choosing the best basketball training equipment is its versatility and durability.
It should be versatile, as in, multiple players should be able to make the most out of it over a few. Or you can probably choose a basketball training aid that can both be used individually or as a team. Additionally, the training equipment must also be durable, able to withstand the rigors of a season and the raging hormones of adolescents. If it can last a couple of years, then you have already gotten your money’s worth.
Wrapping Things Up: The Best Basketball Training Equipment
To sum up, here are the best basketball training equipment we looked at today:
Basketball nowadays is not as easy as picking one skill and working on it exclusively. The game has become a lot faster, and the more skills you have, the better chances you have in playing meaningful minutes. With that in mind, the best basketball training equipment we have listed for you covers multiple skills ranging from ball-handling, shooting, agility, and footwork.
The ones that made their way into our favorites section are the Baden SkilCoach Heavy Trainer Rubber Basketball and Spalding Basketball Training Cones. These products are listed here for a number of reasons. The Baden Heavy Trainer is a shooting, dribbling, and passing improver all rolled into one while the Spalding Training Cones got your agility and footwork drills covered. Both can be used individually and as a team, two boxes that need to be checked before deciding to buy a basketball training equipment.
The next tier after the favorites is the runner-ups: the AllNet Basketball Shooting Aid Hoops Training Shooting Device and the HoopsKing Defender Extender Basketball Training Pads. Both are important in training basketball as they help fine-tune shooting skills by helping you concentrate on the proper form and the proper shooting arch. Because of these reasons, we feel these are more fit for serious players rather than beginners. It’s more of a luxury than an actual need.
And last but not least, the value picks for the best basketball training equipment are the SKLZ Court Vision Basketball Dribbling Goggles and the Ball Hog Ball Handling Gloves. These are essentials for those new to the game, considering they’ll help you improve the most elementary basketball skill of all: dribbling. You don’t get to play if you can’t pound the ball legally, right?
With these six that made our list of the best basketball training equipment, you already have the potential to increase your basketball skills by leaps and bounds. Now, from here on out, it would all depend on your budget and how determined you are in improving every facet of your game.
Did you find this helpful? Then also check out other basketball gear reviews here
Here are some of basketball training related articles you may find interesting: