We have heard about the adage, “If exercise could be packaged in a pill, it would be the single most widely prescribed and beneficial medicine in the nation.” With what’s happening today with the CoVid-19 pandemic, eating healthy and getting in hours of exercise is a must. And speaking of exercise, what better workout is there than playing basketball right at the comfort of your own backyard? That way, you are hitting two birds in one stone: you stay fit while socially distancing yourself. With all that being said, we are going to review and suggest the best basketball hoop for home.
If you want to get back to playing basketball, get our top pick basketball hoop for home here.
Our Favorites for the Best Basketball Hoop for Home
The Lifetime Height Adjustable Portable Basketball System made its way to our list because, with its heavy-duty base, it is explicitly designed as a best home basketball system for beginners. Not only is the 27-gallon base very sturdy, but it is also portable. Additionally, Lifetime is also a trusted global brand for basketball hoops since 1986.
What Makes It Unique:
- The nylon net is designed to be weather-proof.
- The 44-inch backboard, while not regulation-size, is perfect for kids and beginners.
- Can be adjusted from 7.5 feet to 10 feet
Most of the unsatisfied purchases criticize how the whole system is difficult to assemble. It would probably take two hours and two people to handle the job. If full-grown adults, especially those who play on regulation-sized backboards, do a bank shot, they may find that the ball bounces funny.
With that said, many purchases rate the Lifetime Height Adjustable Portable Basketball System high because of its sturdiness. Nevertheless, some have to add water or even cement to the base to make it even stronger, a common practice in basketball hoops for home products.
Why Choose the Lifetime Height Adjustable Portable Basketball System:
- With the portable base and adjustable height, it would be perfect for children eight years old and above.
- After over a year of constant use, many who have bought the system swear the hoop still looks brand-new.
- The Lifetime Height Adjustable Portable Basketball System is a great way to introduce exercise to non-active kids, pre-teens, teenagers, and even young adults.
If we’re talking about a home basketball hoop system that could handle an adult’s rough plays, we feel the Silverback NXT Portable Height-Adjustable Basketball Hoop could do just that. It has a slew of features that sets it apart from the rest, although you may have to pay the price for that quite literally.
What Makes it Unique:
- The backboard is designed to fold back to increase rebound. This design is called Infinity Edge Backboard.
- Height-adjustable from a kids-friendly 7-feet, five-inches to the regulation height of 10 feet
- Parts are pre-assembled and will only take 90 minutes to put together
Judging from the purchases, there isn’t much to hate about the Silverback NXT Portable Height-Adjustable Basketball Hoop. Some of the things that people complain about are not even that bad in retrospect.
For example, one purchaser thought it was too hard to adjust the height and that the size of the base is too big. These two are not necessarily deal-breakers, in our opinion. Some also question the sturdiness of the base and the backboard, but overall reviews point to the other direction.
Why Choose the Silverback NXT Portable Height-Adjustable Basketball Hoop:
- Many who have purchased the system pointed out that the backboard does not wobble even when absorbing high-impact shots, unlike other brands they have used.
- Instructions are easy to follow, and the parts are clearly labeled and packaged very well.
- The base is designed far enough that you minimize the risk of rolling your ankle doing layups.
- ULTIMATE STRENGTH AND STABILITY - Stabili-Frame steel-on-steel connection between steel chassis and main pole
- INCREASED REBOUND - Infinity Edge Backboard that folds backward for increased rigidity
- EASILY MOVE THE GOAL - ErgoMove wheel-barrow design for an easy lift-and-roll action
- ULTRA-FAST ASSEMBLY - Assembles in 90-minutes or less with Quick-Play design and preassembled parts
- HEIGHT-ADJUSTABLE - 7.5’ to 10' height adjustability (in 6" increments) and 26" overhang under the goal
Our Runner Ups for the Best Basketball Hoop for Home
Goalrilla has been around for a fair amount of time, but because of their prices, they may have to take a backseat in favor of the more budget-friendly competitors. Still, it’s worth doing due diligence, especially if the budget is not one of your primary concerns.
What Makes it Unique:
- The backboard is enormous at 72 inches and just as big as a regulation-size backboard.
- Speaking of the backboard, that thing is made of ⅜ of an inch thick tempered glass
- Can be stalled in-ground and can also be moved
As you can see, it would be justified why the Goalrilla GS In-Ground Basketball Systems with Tempered Glass Backboard is worth that much. If it is priced at 50 to 60 percent of its current value, we would say it is a must-have of all those who plan to buy a home basketball hoop system. Admittedly, the product’s price is pretty steep, but when it comes to construction, it is possibly the best basketball hoop for home right now in the market.
Why Choose the Goalrilla GS In-Ground Basketball Systems with Tempered Glass Backboard:
- Made with a 6” x 6” square pole so it will last years, perhaps even decades. One customer said his old Goalrilla basketball system lasted 13 years!
- The product includes a lifetime warranty
- Height is easily adjusted
- Excellent Rebound with 3/8” Thick Tempered Glass Backboard
- Adjustable Goal Height from 7.5’ to 10’ with Crank Actuator
- Included Anchor System Installs In-Ground and Allows Goal to be Moved
- Pro-Style Breakaway Rim Flexes Under Pressure for Safety and Playability
- 6”x6” Square Pole for Superior Strength
Another trusted name in the manufacturing of sporting goods, Spalding has a home basketball hoops system that’s worth looking into. Like the Goalrilla product in this category, Spalding is priced on the premium end of the spectrum, which is probably not what many parents out there would want.
What Makes it Unique:
- Has a steel board frame and a breakaway rim that Spalding NBA 54" Acrylic Screw Jack Portable Basketball Hoop
- Choice of 54” and 60” backboards
- Has an arena-style backboard padding
The problem with products these pricey is if they ship something defective, you will feel ripped off. Or if the material or spare parts do not meet your expectations, you’ll feel scammed or deceived. Anything within the product that causes a little friction will be magnified multiple times because of how expensive this is.
Still, we urge you not to disregard its strong points just because a couple of reviews say it’s hard to put up or the assemblage instructions are not well-written. Needless to say, as consumers, we should cover all the bases before splurging our hard-earned money on a product.
Why Choose the Spalding NBA Portable Basketball System:
- The fit of the hardware is noticeably snug and secure.
- The rim doesn’t move too much when hit hard by a ball.
- Many people think it’s worth the extra money, especially the adults who want a sturdy home basketball hoops system.
- Board size: 54 inches x 32 inches
- Acrylic board with arena style padding; 16 inches offset
- Steel board frame with aluminum trim; Arena Slam breakaway rim
- 7.5 feet to 10 feet height adjustment; Screw jack lift; Detachable handle; 3.5 inches round steel pole with 20 degree angle
- 2 wheels
Our Value Picks for the Best Basketball Hoop for Home
In this section, we will be looking at highly satisfactory products that won’t hurt your budget. These home basketball hoop systems are primarily designed for kids of all ages. Let’s look at probably one of the most well-liked home basketball hoop systems for the youngsters.
Best Choice Products Kids Portable Height-Adjustable Sports Basketball Hoop Backboard System Stand with Wheels
With a combination of surprising durability and budget-friendly price, the Kids Portable Height-Adjustable Sports Basketball Hoop by Best Choice Products is the foremost in that space. Here are a few reasons why:
What Makes it Unique:
- Easy to put together and surprisingly sturdy. Some purchasers assembled the product in 15 to 30 minutes, give or take!
- Perfect for parents who don’t want to spend a fortune and yet wanting their kids to take an interest in sports
- It has wheels, so it is pretty easy to move around.
Apparently, we do not recommend the Kids Portable Height-Adjustable Sports Basketball Hoop for rough adult play. But for anything else? This could easily be the best one on the market as a bang-for-your-buck product.
Some have complaints about how short the hoop is (it is made for kids, so its height is pretty understandable) and how the hoop is not proportionate with the size of the backboard. The latter seems to be a fair point, but for a children’s product, we think a big hoop is not that big of a deal. it is much more important to have a bigger basket to boost confidence than being worried about how aesthetically proportionate the parts are.
Why Choose The Best Choice Products Kids Portable Height-Adjustable Sports Basketball Hoop:
- If strictly played by kids, it can grow with them. You can easily adjust the height so a three-year-old can play, but at the same time, even older kids as old as 10 or 11 can also come along and enjoy.
- Considering how it is constructed and how it is priced, this is definitely a value product in the kids' best basketball hoop for home space.
- With its size, it can also double as a hoop for the swimming pool.
- GROW WITH ME: Kids ages 8 and up can practice their game and even feel like a high-flying pro athlete, as the rim can be adjusted between 70.5 and 82.3 inches
- WEATHER-RESISTANT: Crafted with heavy-duty steel, a durable backboard, and an all-weather nylon net, this hoop is designed to last through any basketball season
- CONVENIENT BALL STORAGE: Designed with a sturdy base that includes a built-in groove for a place to hold your basketball until your next hoop session
- FAMILY FUN: Enjoy friendly competition out back by stepping out to play a little one-on-one with your budding ball player, and show them how to make it count with every shot they take!
- PORTABLE DESIGN: Two built-in wheels at the front of the base make this hoop easy to tilt and transport to any area of your front yard, backyard, in or out of your house
Why You Should Invest in Quality Basketball Hoop for Home
Shooting hoops right in our homes and in our driveways is a perfect way to spend quality time with family and friends. Of course, it can get a little competitive, but we have all been there. We’d rather get chippy with someone we are close with, right? Additionally, if you are just starting out as a basketball player, all these driveway two-on-two battles or shooting contests will help you develop your skills.
For these reasons and more, we encourage you to invest in a quality home basketball hoop system. It can be a lot of fun playing different kinds of basketball games (from HORSE to old-fashioned 1-on-1) and also a convenient way to stay in shape.
Of course, you should consider the primary objective of why you should invest in a quality basketball hoop for home. Is it simply a way to get your kid interested in basketball? If he’s already into it, is it something you hoped that will help him or her develop their basketball skills? Or do you simply want your garage to be a hangout for friends and family to enjoy together?
Knowing the answers to these questions will help you decide on which best basketball hoops for home use you should buy.
FAQ on the Best Basketball Hoop for Home
Can You Practice Dunking on a Home Basketball Hoop?
Generally, yes, you can practice dunking on a home basketball hoop. However, you need to take the construction of the product into consideration. For example, some home basketball hoop systems use water or sand to reinforce the base. That is not what you consider “durable” and is a recipe for disaster.
However, if you have the budget to buy home basketball hoop systems with 6”x6” poles, a normal-sized human being could definitely stretch his muscles and practice some dunks on it. Otherwise, if you want the product to last longer, be careful not to subject it to too much beating.
Can Home Basketball Hoops Withstand All Seasons and Weather Condition?
Again, it would depend on the makeup of the product. Some are made to withstand, some don’t. The thing is, however, some like Lifetime products found a way to keep their home basketball hoops withstand the harsh winter conditions. Their products are made to handle hot or cold weather, so you won’t need to go out of your way to do some maintenance stuff.
With that said, some preventive care steps are encouraged. Here are some ways to make sure you get the most out of your home basketball hoops systems:
- Fill the base to capacity. Some do it with sand, but if it specifies water, do it with water.
- If the nylon net gets damaged or worn out, replace it immediately.
- Apply lubricant along the pivot points for the best performance.
Speaking of sand and water as fill-ins to the base, there are advantages and disadvantages for both. Sand can be used if the home basketball hoops system is subjected to a lot of roughy play like dunking. It is almost 50% denser than water, so apparently, sand is more difficult to tip over than water, and it does not evaporate.
On the other hand, unless you have some unused sand lying somewhere, water is the cheapest thing that you can get that is readily available. Still, as pointed out, because it evaporates, it is necessary to check the water level on the base every once in a while.
How Do You Secure Your Home Basketball Hoop?
Oftentimes, reinforcing the base with sand or water is enough, but in some places where wind gusts are a little too nasty, you may need more proven measures. Here are some ideas to secure your home basketball hoop:
Use sandbags. Sometimes, water or sand to fill the base is not enough. To make the base stronger, you may reinforce it with sandbags, presumably those that weigh around 60 pounds. That should pretty much eliminate the risk of your home basketball hoop falling over because of gusty winds.
Base Gel over water. Water may be the cheapest liquid to fill your base, but it is hardly the best option. Base Gel has an ultra-absorbent polymer that won’t leak and is able to support up to 400 times its own weight.
Ratchet Straps and Anchors. Most situations would not require reinforcement this strong, but if you do, then just go out there and kill it with ratchet straps and anchors. Hammer two anchors on each side of the hoop and then attach both ends with a ratchet strap for a tightened fit.
Choose an in-ground hoop. We don’t think there could be something stronger than ratchet straps and anchors to secure your home basketball hoops system, but if there’s still something wrong, then ditch it altogether and consider an in-ground hoop. These types of hoops can take the most severe punishments you can throw its way, from violent dunks to strong winds.
How to Choose the Best Basketball Hoop for Home
They say regrets always come later, so for you to not be disappointed over your purchase, it’s very important to choose the product wisely. When it comes to choosing the best basketball hoop for home, you should not just take anyone’s word for it. We all have different needs and expectations; what’s good for one may not even cut it for another.
That is why when buying the home basketball hoop system that fits for you, these are some things you need to consider:
1. Who’s going to play?
The answer to the question is very critical when deciding on your purchase. If you’re buying a home basketball system for a young kid, then look for something that would fit their playing level. What if you want something that helps your league-playing teens to hone their skills? Then, buy a basketball hoop that would fit the standard.
Of course, if there are no competitive players or kids around, you may also choose to purchase a portable and adjustable hoop. That way, you can adapt the hoop for whoever comes and hangs out in your driveway.
Most people are operating on a tight budget, so we feel this factor is one of the most important. It is imperative to only make a purchase within your means. That would significantly increase the time for shopping and selecting, but it also makes sure you’d still have something good for dinner over the next two weeks.
3. How portable is the home basketball hoops system?
The portability feature is important but not critical. However, you have to make sure that you know how hard or easy it is to transport the home basketball hoops system if you want to play with it in different locations of the house. Again, the majority may not sweat this feature, but it is still best to know what gives and what doesn’t.
4. Is the basketball hoop for home product adjustable?
You will have to answer the very first question to determine the importance of adjustability in the home basketball hoops system. Is your household a good mix of folks of all ages? Then, you may want to take into good consideration how easy the product readjusts. Otherwise, this feature is not as necessary.
Wrapping Things Up: The Best Basketball Hoop for Home
We’ve gone over a lot today. Here’s a helpful table to consolidate every home basketball hoop we went over:
With the pandemic dragging its vicious trail for months and months now, we cannot reiterate enough how important it is to strengthen our immune system. One of the best ways to do it is by playing basketball right at your driveway. If that’s an option for you and your family, then you may want to take a look at what is the best basketball hoop for home.
Making their way to the favorites is the Lifetime Height Adjustable Portable Basketball System and the Silverback NXT Portable Height-Adjustable Basketball Hoop. Both are built sturdily and height-adjustable from 7.5 feet to 10 feet. That means anyone from eight years old and above will enjoy playing with these products without the tradeoff in quality.
We decided that the Goalrilla GS In-Ground Basketball Systems with Tempered Glass Backboard and the Spalding NBA Portable Basketball System are the entries for the runner-up list because of how pricey the products are. Quality-wise, you’ll hardly find anything better (some may last even 13 years). However, the price would have anyone but Steve Ballmer doing a moonwalk.
Still, if you do have the capacity to shed some serious dough, the Goalrilla GS In-Ground Basketball Systems with Tempered Glass Backboard lasts longer than your average hoops. The same can be said of the Spalding NBA Portable basketball system. However, if money is not an issue, we think the lifetime warranty for the Goalrilla product is just too good to resist. Go with the Goalrilla GS In-Ground Basketball Systems with Tempered Glass Backboard if you have an unlimited budget.
Lastly, the Kids Portable Height-Adjustable Sports Basketball Hoop Backboard System Stand with Wheels by Best Choice Products is listed for our value pick. It is perfect for kids who are starting to play, and you also won’t be disappointed with its quality. It is the lowest-priced among the products, but that’s something that you would expect from a product designed for toddlers and grade school kids.
Deciding on the best basketball hoop for home hinges on several factors. You may put a premium on one of these elements over another, but it is very important to make sure you won’t be disappointed with your purchase. With this in-depth and honest product review, we hope that this will point you in the right direction in finding the best home basketball hoop that fits your needs.
Did you find this helpful? Then also check out our other basketball hoops review here.