If you’re looking for the best pool basketball hoops, you’re in luck. In this post, we’ll go over our top picks for basketball hoops to use in the pool, questions to consider when buying one, and more.
No one can ever deny how hot summers are. Because temperatures can easily go over a hundred whenever it is the summer, you would want to stay as far away from the outdoor courts as much as possible if you love playing basketball. And at the same time, you may want to stay as cool as you can by taking a long swim in your pool together with family and friends.
But since the basketball junkie in you cannot help but play hoops even when it is summer, pool basketball hoops can be a good alternative for you as you can enjoy swishing a pool ball through a basket to practice that follow-through of yours while enjoying a nice refreshing afternoon with family and friends.
So, if you want to get yourself a pool basketball for those hot summer days, here are the ones we consider the best in the market today.
If you want to get back to playing basketball, get our top pick for the best pool basketball hoops here.
Our Favorites for the Best Pool Basketball Hoops (the best out of the bunch)
The Dunnrite Junior Clear Hoop is the type of pool basketball hoop that will cover and touch all of the basics when it comes to the things you need from a good pool hoop. It is amazingly similar to the real hoops you see whenever you are playing in the outdoors or on a hardwood floor but was made to be perfect for pool use during the hot summer days. You would expect nothing else from a company with about four decades of experience.
What we really love about the Dunnrite Clear Hoop is that, as the name suggests, it comes with a clear backboard that is similar to the ones you see on a true basketball court. The backboard is made out of acrylic, which makes it a lot similar to a true NBA backboard not only in terms of appearance but also when it comes to its durability and hardness. Simply put, it will not easily break even when you throw a ball hard against it. This makes it one of the recommended pool basketball hoops when it comes to serious players who seem just as competitive in the pool as they are on the hardwood floor.
Adding the overall durability of the Dunnrite Clear Hoop is the stainless-steel post that promises to make the entire structure sturdy. However, you may want to avoid dunking on it because it does not have the same kind of breakaway rim that you would see in real basketball hoops. Nevertheless, the acrylic backboard as well as the stainless-steel post make it one of the most durable and sturdy pool hoops on the planet.
Installation requires you to drill into the ground. Other than that, there really is nothing too difficult about installing this system. The brass anchor holds the entire system in the ground really well. And if you want to remove the hoop during the colder seasons such as winter, you can easily use the finishing cap to unhinge it from the anchor base. This allows you to keep it rust and damage free whenever you are not using it. Those features make it a complete pool hoop system that stands head and shoulders above its competition.
What makes the Dunnrite Junior Clear Hoop unique:
- The backboard is made of acrylic that is almost as durable as true basketball backboards.
- Can be removed easily if you want to store it during the colder seasons.
- Stainless steel pole adds to its overall sturdiness.
Why choose the Dunnrite Junior Clear Hoop:
- One of the most durable pool hoops in the market today.
- The way the hoop is constructed gives you a similar feel to that of a true basketball hoop.
- Good for serious basketball players because of its durability and similarity to an actual hoop.
- PREMIUM POOL BASKETBALL HOOP: Elevate your pool with the sleek, modern and elegant Clear Hoop Jr set. 1/2 inch thick acrylic backboard is tough as nails!
- FITS EXISTING 1.90" DIAMETER ANCHORS: No need to drill new holes in your deck, the 1.90" model fits in existing anchors. Can be removed for storage.
- LONG-LASTING, DURABLE COMPONENTS: Components are stainless steel, acrylic, and outdoor vinyl for incredible durability (salt-system pool compatible)
The Lifetime 1306 Poolside Basketball System is an amazing pool basketball hoop as it comes with the same kind of durability that you would expect from a true basketball hoop. In fact, it has an appearance that is as close to the real thing as possible to the point that you may actually use it as an actual basketball hoop if the conditions are right.
In terms of how durable it is, the Lifetime 1306 comes with a 44-inch shatterproof backboard that has a polyethylene frame that makes it one of the sturdiest and most durable pool basketball hoops. It can take impact like a charm so that you can actually play serious pool basketball when using this hoop and feel like you are still having fun as a baller even if you are cooling yourself in the pool.
You also do not have to worry about this pool basketball hoop’s longevity. It becomes even more durable overall when you factor in the fact that its pole is UV-protected. This means that it could actually stand up against the harmful rays of the sun without showing any signs of damage. It is also rust-resistant. All those qualities allow the Lifetime 1306 to survive the outdoor conditions so that you do not have to keep it indoors whenever the weather gets too harsh.
Unlike other pool basketball hoops, the Lifetime 1306 comes with a 27-gallon base that plants it firmly in place to make it very stable. You can also lift the hoop up to seven feet to make things more challenging for you and your kids. And the great thing here is that the base is sturdy enough that the system will not feel wobbly even if you extend it to its maximum height.
What makes the Lifetime 1306 Pool Side Basketball System unique:
- Impact-resistant because of its shatterproof backboard and its polyethylene frame.
- Comes with a base that allows you to move it around without having to plant it firmly in one area only.
- Its pole is UV-protected so that it can survive harsh outdoor conditions.
Why choose the lifetime 1306 Pool Side Basketball System:
- It is one of the most durable pool basketball hoops out there.
- You do not have store it indoors because its pole is UV-protected and rust-resistant.
- The height of the hoop can be extended to make things more challenging for serious pool basketball players.
- 44” Shatterproof Fusion Backboard integrates a polycarbonate playing surface with an unbreakable polyethylene frame for a durable, pro glass look
- The pole is uv-protected and rust-resistant making it durable and strong. White 27 Gallon base provides stability and portability; Can be filled with water or sand
- Telescoping height adjustment that adjusts from 4 to 6.5 feet in 6 inch increments
Our Runner Ups for the Best Pool Basketball Hoops (still good but a bit lacking)
The Poolmaster 72783 Pro Rebounder Poolside Basketball Game is a poolside basketball hoop that was made purely for fun instead of for those who want to be more competitive in their approach when it comes to pool hoops. This is actually a rebounder that actually does really well in bouncing the ball of the backboard, which can come in varied designs such as NBA basketball team colors and logos.
Unlike other poolside basketball hoops, the Poolmaster 72783 sits low at the side of your pool and is only about 25.5 inches high. While this is not too challenging for a lot of people, the good thing about its low height is that it will easily bounce the ball back into the pool when you miss a shot. And because of its unique rebounder backboard, you will be sure that you do not have to get out of the ball to retrieve the ball because it will almost always bounce back into the water after you attempt a shot.
While it is primarily made out of PVC instead of steel, the Poolmaster 72783 is actually durable enough to last for a very long time because of how its materials are made and designed to withstand any weather condition as opposed to steel that can easily corrode or rust when exposed to the outdoors. On top of that, this pool basketball hoop is sturdy enough that you only have to place sand inside its base for it to stay in place. You can even move it around if you want instead of keeping it in one single spot.
That said, the Poolmaster 72783 is a good pool basketball hoop to have in your pool at home if you are in it for the fun and not for the challenge. It gives you, your family, and your friends a new pastime to do during the hot summers as you all enjoy a refreshing dip in your pool.
What makes the Poolmaster 72783 Pro Rebounder Poolside Basketball Game unique:
- It is a rebounder that aims to rebound the ball back into the pool if you missed a shot.
- Comes with a build that allows it to withstand outdoor weather conditions.
Why choose the Poolmaster 72783 Pro Rebounder Poolside Basketball Game:
- Very easy and simple to use as it dispenses the need for you to get out of the pool if you miss your shot.
- Quite portable and great for families who would want to carry it around wherever they go.
- Specially designed for poolside basketball action; sits on deck for in-ground or above ground pools
- Durable all-weather materials; hard-body backboard measures 34-inches wide x 25.5-inches high
- Game base can be filled with water or sand (preferable) for poolside stability
If you want to go for a more unique but still very much fun and functional pool basketball hoop, then the Swimline Cool Jam Pro Poolside Basketball should be a really good choice for you as it kind of departs from the usual pool, base, and backboard design. Instead, this actually dispenses the need for a pole as it combines the pole and the base all in one unique design to give you a really good product to use during the hot summer days.
The reason why we enjoy the Swimline Cool Jam Pro unique design is that it is a lot sturdier than other poolside basketball hoops on the market due to how its pole and base are combined in one novel package. It will not tip so easily and also promises to stay well in place even when you and your friends or even your kids are already playing competitively in the pool.
Another reason why we love the Swimline Cool Jam Pro design is that it is actually quite easy to assemble, as most other satisfied customers say about it. Meanwhile, it is also long-lasting due to how it is mostly made of plastic, which will be able to withstand the harsh outdoor conditions and will not corrode as steel does when exposed to water.
Overall, the Swimline Cool Jam Pro is a good poolside basketball hoop to have because of its sturdiness and overall durability even though it might not look like it should last for a very long time. It is perfect for fun games out in your pool and is perfect for those who want a backboard that bounces the ball really well for a price that is quite competitive.
What makes the Swimline Cool Jam Pro Poolside Basketball unique:
- Combines the base and the pole in one unique structure.
- Mostly made out of plastic that will not corrode or suffer damage from the elements.
Why choose the Swimline Cool Jam Pro Poolside Basketball:
- Very sturdy due to its unique design.
- Bounces the ball really well and comes with a durable build.
- WATER BASKETBALL FUN: Swimline's iconic Cool Jam Pro Free Standing Pool Basketball Game is designed to create a reliable, realistic basketball experience. Super easy to set up, and provides hours of fun for all ages!
- ENDLESS GAMES: Perfect for H.O.R.S.E, slam dunk contests, and competitive basketball games. Install one on either end of the pool for full court matches!
- STANDING & STABLE: Our innovative molded design features legs that come with fillable compartments to add water or sand to add weight and stability to your pool basketball game, for the best swimming hoops experience
Our Value Picks for the Best Pool Basketball Hoops (good and affordable)
If you really want to go for an affordable poolside basketball hoop while also getting more for what you are paying for, then we highly recommend the Poolmaster Swimming Pool Basketball and Volleyball Game Combo. As the name suggests, what makes this a product that gives you the bang for your buck is the fact that it combines a basketball hoop and a volleyball net all in one package to help you save more money.
Unlike other Poolmaster hoops, the Poolmaster Swimming Pool Basketball and Volleyball Game Combo is a permanently mountable product that you cannot move around once you have already installed it. But that is not necessarily a bad thing because it is made out of materials that will not corrode or suffer damage from water or the elements when left outdoors. It is also quite durable as it does not contain any movable parts. That fact alone makes this one of the sturdiest options for you in the market.
Variety is the major selling point of the Poolmaster Swimming Pool Basketball and Volleyball Game Combo as it also comes with a volleyball net that can make things more interesting for your family and friends during the hot summers. You have a choice between playing the conventional pool basketball games or a different kind of pool volleyball game. The possibilities may seem endless with this product as you can even change both games themselves.
In conclusion, the Poolmaster Swimming Pool Basketball and Volleyball Game Combo is a great product because of how much value it provides you for a price that seems to be more competitive and affordable compared to all of the other products on this list.
What makes the Poolmaster Swimming Pool Basketball and Volleyball Game Combo unique:
- Combines a basketball hoop and a volleyball net in one package.
- Permanently mountable.
Why choose the Poolmaster Swimming Pool Basketball and Volleyball Game Combo:
- Saves you a lot of money because of how it is essentially a 2-in-1 package.
- Allows you to switch between two types of games or even try to change the games up themselves.
- Pro Rebounder poolside basketball game and across-pool water volleyball game, designed for above-ground pools
- Pool basketball hoop features all-weather hard-body backboard measuring 34-inches wide x 25.5-inches high; basketball pool game mounts to a 4-inch wide or larger top rail
- Combination pool game set also includes 16-foot volleyball net with 10-foot side ties, upright poles, and bracket mounts for attaching to 4-inches or wider top rails
Why You Should Invest in Quality Pool Basketball Hoops
For fun. That is basically the best reason why you might want to invest in a quality pool basketball hoop. Expounding on that, summers can be pretty hot especially if you live somewhere near the southern areas of the country. And if beaches and pool parks tend to be quite far away from where you live, then spending time in your own pool at home is the best way for you to keep yourself cool.
But because simply dipping in the pool can be somewhat boring, you might want to have fun in the water by investing in a high-quality pool basketball hoop that you can use for practicing your follow-through or simply just for fun when you have nothing else to do in your pool. Having a pool hoop also brings out the excitement when you are in the water with family and friends.
FAQ on Pool Basketball Hoops
What Material is the Best One for the Backboard?
The best material to use for the backboard is acrylic or fiberglass as true basketball backboards are usually made with such materials. These materials are shatterproof and will be able to last for a very long time even when you are using them consistently or even when you are actually throwing the ball hard up against the backboard.
Are Inflatable Hoops Safe to Use in Summer?
Inflatable hoops might not be safe to use during the summer. The reason is that the heat from the hot summer sun may affect the air particles inside the inflatable hoop and cause it to burst suddenly just like how heat can cause a balloon to pop. There is also a study that suggests that the air inside an inflatable hoop is hotter than the air outside when exposed to the summer heat and may cause burns if the air happens to escape out of the hoop when it bursts.
What are Fun Games to Play in Pool?
There are plenty of games you can play when you are using a pool basketball hoop. Here are some ideas that might interest you:
- 3-on-3 pickup games in the pool
- Three-point contest
- Dunk contest
How to Choose the Best Pool Basketball Hoops for You
When you are looking for a pool basketball hoop, here are some of the things you need to consider:
Depending on who is going to use the pool basketball hoop or on what types of games you are planning on playing, you need a hoop that actually has the height that you need. Most games can be played on regular hoops that sit just about a foot above the pool. However, if you want to play more challenging games such as water polo, you may need a higher hoop.
The sturdiness of the hoop can be a factor of its base and pole, which are what keeps it firm and upright. The base must be strong and heavy enough to be able to firmly plant the entire system in place. Meanwhile, the pole must be strong enough to make sure that the backboard does not wobble around a lot.
The material used for the backboard is important because of how it determines the overall durability of the hoop as well as how the ball bounces off of it. The more expensive hoops have backboards made of acrylic or fiberglass. Meanwhile, cheaper hoops come with plastic backboards.
You should be able to check the overall safety features that come with the hoop. There should not be a lot of moving parts and materials to avoid injuries. Also, the entire structure should be strong, durable, and sturdy enough that it will not end up crashing down on you and cause severe injuries if used vigorously enough.
Wrapping Things Up: The Best Pool Basketball Hoops
In closing, here’s a table of the best pool basketball hoops we looked at today:
If you are going for the best of the best when it comes to pool basketball hoops, we highly suggest the Dunnrite Junior Clear Hoop because of how it blends together sturdiness, durability, and quality well enough to justify its price. Meanwhile, the Lifetime 1306 Poolside Basketball System also covers everything you need as it is a safe and easy-to-install basketball hoop system that you and your friends will really enjoy.
But for those who are not capable or willing to splurge on our top picks, we recommend the Poolmaster 72783 and the Swimline Cool Jam Pro as they both come with their own uniqueness and selling points for those whose budgets are just within the median range. And if you really want to save money while getting the best value out of what you are paying for, the Poolmaster Swimming Pool Basketball and Volleyball Game Combo essentially gives you two products at a price that is far more affordable than the other choices on the market.
All that said, we hope that you can find your next pool basketball hoop from our top choices.
Did you find this helpful? You may also enjoy our other basketball gear reviews here.