Basketball and music always go hand-in-hand. And besides, it’s rare to find a person who dislikes music, much less basketball players who frequently rub elbows with rappers and other music artists. When tuning in to NBA games, you probably noticed your favorite basketball players listening to music using wireless headphones or earbuds. If you’re into basketball and music yourself, perhaps you want to know the best wireless earbuds for basketball.
If that’s the case, sit back and allow this review article to provide earbud recommendations for basketball players. After all, music is a motivating force that improves the overall experience and productivity.
Our Favorites for the Best Wireless Earbuds for Basketball
Perhaps with the release of Apple’s AirPods, more NBA players have chosen earphones over headphones. It’s an easy choice. Headphones are substantially larger and less portable than earbuds. Earbuds are less “invasive,” so to speak, and allow basketball players to perform game moves without much hindrance. Here are the best wireless earbuds for basketball:
Beats Studio Buds
To those who have missed the acquisition, Apple has owned Beats since 2014. Therefore, it’s best to expect some Apple-like changes to the Beats line. When it was launched in the middle of 2021, star athletes, including NBA players, wore them around pretty much everywhere they go.
The marketing is also what you expect from an Apple product. The Apple marketing machine leaked photos so that everyone knew what the Studio Buds looked like before they went public with it. And even with that, the Studio Buds were surprisingly better than the hype that preceded it.
The Beats Studio Buds are a set of true wireless earbuds with active noise cancellation and Dolby Atmos compatibility from Apple. The audio quality is excellent, with a dynamic sound quality that enhances the highs and lows of your music, and they are really comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.
What Makes the Beats Studio Buds Unique:
- Compatible with iOS and Android; do not need any iOS app for Apple integration
- Comes in three colors– pink, gray, and blue
- Looks like you have nothing on your ears
While it is a rock-solid pair of earbuds, it is far from perfect. It looks like it’s not made of premium materials, and it doesn’t have an H1 wireless chip. Turning off the ANC or transparency mode cuts off the battery life by three hours, which is understandably frustrating. Their noise cancellation, while top-notch, is not the best that you can find in the market. That said, you should still consider purchasing the Studio Buds.
Why Choose the Beats Studio Buds:
- Charges really fast, so you’ll have it when you need it
- Decent price point; cheaper than the Airpods Pro and better than regular Airpods
- Fits the ears perfectly, even compared with more expensive brands and models
- Custom acoustic platform delivers powerful, balanced sound
- Control your sound with two distinct listening modes: Active Noise Cancelling (ANC) and Transparency mode
- Three soft ear tip sizes for a stable and comfortable fit while ensuring an optimum acoustic seal
The selling point for all Bose products is its magnificent Noise canceling. The QuietComfort is no different. If the Noise Cancelling feature is a deal-breaker, you’d be hard pressed to find anything better than the QuietComfort. It’s not even close! Unlike the Beats Studio Buds, the Bose QuietComfort feels premium. The winged ear tips also have a smooth, matte texture, which adds to the overall impression of luxury.
What Makes the Bose QuietComfort Unique:
- When you initially open the case, the earphones instantly enter pairing mode.
- Sweat and weather resistant
- The Bose music app allows noise-canceling adjustments and custom modes
- The noise cancellation feature allows the Bose's excellent sound quality to shine.
The QuietComfort is a true wireless earbud, but for some reason, it’s still bulky compared to its counterparts. If you don’t like your earbuds sticking out of your ear, you may take a rain check on the QuietComfort. However, if you put a premium on noise cancellation and sound quality, it should totally be on top of your list.
Why Choose the Bose QuietComfort:
- The whole package, including the charging case, provides a total of 18 hours of listening time.
- Some premium earbuds may look and feel cheaper than the QuietComfort.
- The ear tips are easy to install.
- Even though the QuietComfort is not designed for mixing and mastering music, it has a wide range plus a warm and crisp sound
- NOISE CANCELLING WIRELESS HEADPHONES: The perfect balance of quiet, comfort, and sound. Bose uses tiny mics to measure, compare, and react to outside noise, cancelling it with opposite signals. Bluetooth range-up to 9 m (30 feet).
- HIGH-FIDELITY AUDIO: The TriPort acoustic architecture offers depth and fullness. Volume-optimized Active EQ maintains balanced performance at any volume, so bass stays consistent when turned down and the music remains clear when turned up.
- QUIET AND AWARE MODES: Choose Quiet Mode for full noise cancelling, or Aware Mode to bring the outside into the around ear headphones and hear your environment and your music at the same time.
The Runner-Ups for the Best Wireless Earbuds for Basketball
Earbuds are popular because they allow you to listen to music or other media without bothering those around you. Wearing earbuds also aids in the reduction of background noise. This means you may be able to identify specific instruments and notice subtle differences in the music.
However, some earbuds are great at a couple of things but have other features that can be deal-breakers for some people. If you’re looking for a specific earbud characteristic, these models could be the one for you.
Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 3
As its name suggests, this is Sennheiser’s third stab at the true wireless variety. Having said that, the German audio manufacturer has also invested much in personalization features for this third-generation model.
What Makes the Sennheiser Momentum 3 Unique:
- If the Bose QuietComfort gives you a total of 18 hours, the Sennheiser Momentum 3 gives you 28 hours of playing time.
- Best for instrumental and vocal-heavy music and audio like jazz, classical, pop, rock, instrumental, and podcasts.
- It may not have the sound quality as other brands, but the earbuds fit in your ears perfectly and stay there for good.
There are a couple of deal-breakers that you must consider before purchasing the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 3. If the connection of two devices is crucial for you, be reminded that the Momentum 3 doesn’t allow such a feature. Another is its noise cancellation technology. Truth be told, it’s just inferior to other brands in the previous section. Don’t expect it to work in an arena full of thousands of fans or even a busy mall or street.
Regardless of these drawbacks, the Momentum 3 may still be worth buying.
Why Choose the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 3:
- The Momentum 3 does not change the sound as it’s naturally intended. Therefore, the output sound is not artificial and does not defeat the original purpose of the music.
- The controls are very responsive. Other earbuds limit the playback and ANC control, but not the Sennheiser Momentum 3.
- The company offers a reasonable return policy and excellent customer service.
- Note : If the size of the earbud tips does not match the size of your ear canals or the headset is not worn properly in your ears, you may not obtain the correct sound qualities or call performance. Change the earbud tips to ones that fit more snugly in your ear
- Superior sound powered by the TrueResponse transducer and aptX Adaptive for the highest resolution audio
- Customized audio experience via built-in equalizer and pre-sets, including Bass Boost, and Sound Personalization for bespoke audio
Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX
Everything in the Bang & Olufsen line– from headphones to earbuds– is aesthetically excellent. Their products have a good reputation for mixing superb sound with beautiful designs. However, the design could be a double-edged sword, and it’s admittedly not for everybody.
The Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX, for example, has a prominent microphone stem. It’s a unique look, but some of you may not like that. Although in practical terms, it moves the microphones closer to your mouth, which allows you a better starting point for optimum speech quality during talks and meetings. Obviously, you’ll be using your earphones outside of hoops and workouts, so it shouldn’t be a primary concern unless you have a specific preference.
What Makes the Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX Unique:
- Top-notch water resistance that’s best for intense workouts
- The fit is one of the best in earbuds, perhaps ranking only behind silicon-molded ear tips.
- Aside from being waterproof, the Beoplay EX is also dust-proof.
Bang & Olufsen almost got everything right, from the design to the sound quality. However, some users complain that noise-canceling is virtually non-existent. B&O may seek improvements in this regard, but right now, the ANC feature does not live up to expectations. If noise canceling is not your top priority, you should still consider buying the Beoplay EX, especially if you can afford it.
Why Buy the Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX:
- Supports multipoint connectivity with Bluetooth 5.2
- Looks sleek. elegant, and tasteful
- Despite the mediocre noise cancelation, the transparency is top-notch.
- LOSE YOURSELF IN THE MUSIC: With adaptive active noise cancellation, you can tune out of your surroundings, even in strong windy conditions. Note : If the size of the earbud tips does not match the size of your ear canals or the headset is not worn properly in your ears, you may not obtain the correct sound qualities or call performance. Change the earbud tips to ones that fit more snugly in your ears
- Product Note : If the size of the earbud tips does not match the size of your ear canals or the headset is not worn properly in your ears, you may not obtain the correct sound qualities or call performance. Change the earbud tips to ones that fit more snugly in your ears
- SOUL–STIRRING SOUND: Finely tuned acoustics for music that moves you.
Beats Studio3 Wireless Headphones
The Beats Studio3 Wireless Headphones - Matte Black (Renewed) premier full-size wireless headphones, having served as the label’s flagship over-ear headphones since their introduction in 2017. It is one of the best over ear headphones for working out and basketball shootarounds. It has the same robust build as its predecessor, but it boasts better sound quality, noise cancellation, and battery life.
What Makes the Beats Studio 3 Wireless Headphones Unique:
- Features Apple’s W1 chip for seamless connection with an iPad or iPhone
- Delivers quality and power without busting your eardrums
- Better battery life than the previous model (now up to 22 hours of listening time)
While the Beats Studio3 Wireless Headphones is a solid performer on all fronts, it can be a little inconsistent. The case is bulky, and many purchasers are not fans of its sensitivity to glass. Not that it would matter when you’re playing ball basketball, though. All in all, Beats Studio 3 is a well-balanced headphone model that provides a lot of bass, yet it isn’t overbearing or boomy.
Why Choose the Beats Studio 3 Wireless Headphones:
- Without turning on the ANC feature, the play time lasts as long as 40 hours.
- It’s an excellent headset for folks who enjoy listening to pop music.
- The Fast Fuel feature gives you three hours of playback time per 10 minutes of charging with a Mirco-USB cable
- WHATS IN THE BOX: Beats Studio 3 Wireless Headphones | Carrying Case | (NOT Included: microUSB Cable and Remote Talk Cable)
The Value Picks for the Best Wireless Earbuds for Basketball
Truth be told, most could not afford or do not have the budget for top-of-the-line earbuds and headphones. It’s not entirely hopeless! Some earpieces provide great bang-for-the-buck. Some who have purchased these earbuds and headphones swear by it and suggest you shouldn’t buy 200-dollar earpieces ever again.
AIHOOR True Wireless Earbuds
Would you bite if someone tells you that an earbud model provides just as many features and quality at a fifth of the price of Apple or Beats earbuds? It’s always wise to investigate before spending money, but in this case, the AIHOOR True Wireless Earbudswon’t leave you disappointed. It is definitely one of the best earphones for basketball and working out because it is light while producing excellent sound.
What Makes the AIHOOR True Wireless Earbuds Unique:
- Crank the volume halfway, and it’s already better than 80% of earbuds out there.
- Works perfectly with Android phones out of the box without installing additional headset apps
- Great for songs with kick drums and punchy bass lines
Some say that the controls are oversensitive, while some find it intuitive. The case design is a minor inconvenience, but you can’t be picky about earbuds that work just as well at a fraction of the price. Give these earbuds a try and experience them for yourself!
Why Choose the AIHOOR True Wireless Earbuds:
- When it comes to earbuds, it is the very definition of “bang for the buck.”
- Provides a total of 30 hours of playing time with the portable charging case
- Waterproof and sweatproof
- Targeted Active Noise Cancellation - Eliminating low-frequency noise from the outside world and provide an excellent music experience. Long press for 2 seconds to activate ANC.
- Immersive Sound With Punchy Bass - A1 earbuds support SBC/AAC high-quality audio decoding. The frequency response range reaches 20-20khz, so that the earbuds can easily prefabricate deep bass and mellow treble.
- Smart Touch Control - Minimize discomfort to your ears by adopting gentle touch senser. Control Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Volume Up/Down, ANC on/off, Voice Assistant by merging multiply control functions in one touch spot.
TOZO NC2 Hybrid ANC Wireless Earbuds
The TOZO NC2 Hybrid ANC Wireless Earbuds lacks refinement in both sound quality and style, but these wireless noise-canceling earbuds will suffice for buyers on a low budget. Its design is generic and are two levels below other models aesthetically. But a price point that’s even lower than AIHOOR True Wireless Earbuds, there’s nothing to complain about.
What Makes the TOZO NC2 Wireless Earbuds Unique:
- If you love , the TOZO NC2 is a poor man’s version of what the AirPods Pro offers.
- It is rain, water, sweat, and dust-proof.
- Offers a total of 40 hours of playing time from a single charge, and the compact charging case
The TOZO NC2 is decent enough, but its price tag is its most irresistible feature. The earphones are lightweight, comfy, and don’t spill much audio, so even at high volumes, your music shouldn’t irritate anyone around you. Its ANC feature leaves a lot to be desired, but given its low price, there’s not much to whine about.
Why Choose the TOZO NC2 Wireless Earbuds:
- Its design is wonderfully breathable, not trapping a lot of heat. That means your ears won’t sweat as much when you’re using it.
- Stays snug in the ear
- Despite its generic design, the TOZO NC2 is surprisingly well-built. They should be able to withstand a few unintentional drops and mild bumps without sustaining too much damage.
- 【Active Noise Cancellation】Hybrid 3 layer active noise cancellation. 1. Outward-facing microphone detects external sounds and counter with equal anti-noise to reduce the environmental noise up to more than 35dB. 2. Inward-facing microphone listens inside ear canal to pick up internal sounds and produce anti-noise again to twice cancel the left noise. 3. Ear caps prevent 90% noise going to ear canal.
- 【Transparency Mode】You can hear what you want to hear, which lets outside sound in so you can hear and interact with the world around you. You can clearly hear the announcement of the airline or subway and what is saying around you without taking off the headphones.
- 【Optical Sensors Technology】Features optical sensors technology, they sense when they’re in your ears and pause when you take them out. Adopt high-precision contact sensor, optimized for daily use and sports occasion, achieving real-time detection of wearing status.
JBL Tune 510BT Wireless Headphones
The JBL Tune 510BT Wireless Headphones brand is synonymous with excellence. Its track record in the audio equipment market is impeccable and has been so for nearly eight decades. That is why you should expect nothing less than brilliance with the JBL Tune 510BT.
What Makes the JBL Tune 510BT Unique:
- Bluetooth connectivity is top-notchtop-notch. The headphones can connect with your devices in three seconds tops.
- Five-minute charging is equal to two hours of playback
- Provides 40 hours of battery life
The main issues with the JBL Tune 510BT are its earpiece design and lack of noise cancelation. Some say they find the headset bulky and uncomfortable. The absence of ANC is a drawback for many, but some people also prefer headphones that allow them to still be aware of what’s happening around them. Regardless of your preferences, the fact is that the 510BT performs way beyond its price point.
Why Choose the JBL Tune 510BT Wireless Headphones:
- Features the JBL Pure Bass technology
- For many users, the 510BT works just as well as a headphone twice its price.
- You can have an intense workout, sweating a lot, and yet the headphones still sit agreeably on your head.
- If you like listening to music while still knowing what’s happening around you, this is probably your best option.
- The Tune 510BT wireless headphones feature renowned JBL Pure Bass sound, which can be found in the most famous venues all around the world.
- With Wireless Bluetooth 5.0 Streaming, you can stream wirelessly from your device and even switch between two devices so that you don't miss a call. Dynamic frequency response range (Hz) 20 Hz – 20 kHz
- For long-lasting fun, listen wirelessly for up to 40 hours and recharge the battery in as little as 2 hours with the convenient Type-C USB cable. A quick 5-minute recharge gives you 2 additional hours of music.
How to Choose the Best Wireless Earbuds for Basketball
If you’re training or working out for long hours and music is your main motivator, then battery life should be at the top of your checklist when looking for earbuds. Most models in this list can give you eight to 10 hours of continuous playback and perhaps another 10-20 hours with the charging case.
They say quality doesn’t always come cheap, and that’s true on many levels. The European brands B&O and Sennheiser are your best bets, but Bose and Beats could hold their own in that department as well. The models mentioned above are among the best wireless earbuds for basketball if you’re going for quality.
Still, the cheaper ones in this list are no pushovers in that regard, either. For one, JBL has been a well-known audio-related brand for decades! You can try any of these, and they might exceed your expectations.
Noise cancelation is a subjective feature. It boils down to personal preference as some basketball players still want to hear the faint background noise while others may opt to completely block out everything. If you are one of the latter, the ANC in the Bose QuietComfort is in a class by itself. However, be reminded that most models allow you to turn the noise cancelation feature on and off depending on your choice.
This is perhaps the most important feature of an earbud or headphone if you use it for basketball training and workouts. Basketball players lose up to 4.5 liters of sweat in a two-hour practice. That much sweat could easily drench earpieces. Most earbuds can withstand splashes from any direction, but you may want to up the ante and choose an IPX6 waterproof model just to be safe. IPX6 means it can withstand high-pressure, heavy sprays of water.
Connectivity is very much a problem for earbuds, especially in the earlier versions. Thankfully, it has improved by leaps and bounds over the years that it’s not an issue now for the newer wireless earbud/headphone models. That being said, it’s still important to prioritize connectivity. After all, you don’t want the music stopping every now and then because you have stepped too far out of range. Choose the latest Bluetooth version, and you’re going to be okay.
For young basketball players, you can still enjoy the benefits of music while practicing and training. All you have to do is get yourself a budget yet high-quality model. The AIHOOR True Wireless earbuds are basically replicas of the Airpods Pro and perform almost just as well. JBL, of course, has been an industry leader for decades, and the 510 BT functions similarly to a model twice its price. If you know where to look, you can still grab yourself some wireless earbuds/headphones without breaking the bank.
Wrapping Things Up: Best Wireless Earbuds for Basketball
Can you imagine your life without music? As a basketball player, music is even more important to you. Music allows you to get hyped in a game, a workout, or a training session. One of the best ways to benefit from music when playing basketball is by using the best earphones for basketball.
So, what are the best earbuds for sports and basketball that you can use to help your game? Many prefer the Beats Studio Buds because of its comfort, fast-charging capabilities, and excellent noise cancelation. The Bose QuietComfort, meanwhile, is premium-looking, known for its crisp sound, and probably the best ANC technology in the market. If you can afford any of these models, there should be no reason why you should look anywhere else.
Furthermore, the Euro models from Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 3 and Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX bring something to the table but may lack a significant feature or two. You may sacrifice a couple of things if you want to wear the Beats Studio3 Wireless Headphones - Matte Black (Renewed) in your basketball training. However, the Beoplay EX is known for its top-notch transparency, while the Momentum 3 provides excellent water resistance.
Lastly, if you’re on a budget, the recommended models are the AIHOOR True Wireless Earbuds, TOZO NC2 Hybrid ANC Wireless Earbuds, and the JBL Tune 510BT Wireless Headphones. They are not perfect, but they are still wonderful choices. AIHOOR and TOZO NC2 are among the best wireless earbuds for basketball at their price points. The JBL 510BT boasts the patented Pure Bass technology, so if bass-heavy music hypes you up to play ball, it is by no means a terrible option.
Enjoying this article? Check out other useful basketball gear reviews here.
> The Best Gifts for Basketball Players
> The Best Camera for Recording Basketball Games