Everybody knows that you need to protect your feet and make sure that you feel comfortable when you are wearing socks for sports. For basketball, the importance of wearing the best socks can never be understated.
Not only are you out there sweating hard on the court in your socks but you also are putting your feet under a lot of stress with all of the running and jumping you are doing.
As such, ordinary socks will not be the most viable options for you when you are out there on the court grinding. If you want socks that were actually designed to handle the wear and tear that your feet go through on a consistent basis while you are playing basketball, only the best basketball socks will do. That is why we have compiled a list of what we believe are the best basketball socks on the market today.
If you want to get back to playing basketball, get our top pick for best basketball socks here.
Our Favorites for the Best Basketball Socks (the best out of the bunch)
Almost every basketball player would have the NIKE Elite Basketball Crew Socks at the top of his list of the best basketball socks. Since 2008, they have been the most sought-after socks for basketball because they will simply stand out the moment you wear them and will immediately tell you that there is something different about them when compared to the conventional six-pack or three-pack socks in the market.
One of the more obvious reasons why these socks are so popular is that they were tailor-made to give you the best fit possible from a pair of basketball socks. What this feature does is that it gives you a snug feel without any of that unnecessary extra space you get from other types of socks. You will also love the cushioning the Nike Elite has because they were strategically placed in spots where a basketball player’s feet often feel the most pressure.
All in all, the NIKE Elite Basketball Crew Sockswere designed for the basketball player for playing basketball. The features give you a comfortable feeling because of the socks’ combination of materials, fit, and cushioning. All that not only helps in decreasing injuries and the wear and tear on your feet but will also give you the confidence you need for your feet.
What Makes the Nike Elites Unique:
- The socks NIKE Elite Basketball Crew Socks were made to have a snug fit that does not leave any sort of extra space anywhere else on your feet.
- Its cushioning was placed in spots that actually need the most cushioning for basketball players.
- Very durable and will last for a very long time because it uses premium materials.
Why Choose These Basketball Socks:
- They are tailor-made for basketball players and have all of the necessary features that basketball players need for their feet.
- You are not going to feel any sort of extra space so long as you purchase the right size for your feet.
- They go well with any other type of basketball shoes.
The Nike Men Elite Versatility Basketball Crew Socks is a variant of the famous Nike Elite. As such, you can expect them to retain much of the things that made the original Nike Elite Basketball Socks as popular as they are. The materials are nearly identical and are just as durable. Moreover, it also has the necessary cushioning in the impact spots that get the most pressure when you are playing basketball.
The difference, however, is that the Elite Versatility lives up to its name. These socks are quite versatile and can be used in different sports because they are also well-cushioned and have the support needed by any athlete in his chosen endeavor. They may be a bit thicker than the original Nike Elite and you would instantly feel how well-padded the sole area is so that any sort of impact will be minimized.
What also makes the Nike Men Elite Versatility Basketball Crew Socks stand out is how well-ventilated it is. If you just simply look at these basketball socks, you can clearly see the ventilation spots. Wearing them is an entirely different story because of how your feet stay cool to the point that you probably will not even think that you are wearing socks. Finally, the ribbed traction pattern allows your foot to grip on the shoes’ insoles.
What Makes the Nike Elite Versatility Unique:
- These socks are indeed versatile because its cushioning and support minimize the impact on your feet regardless of whatever sport you are playing.
- Comes with a superb ventilation system that keeps your feet cool and fresh even when you are playing hard ion a particularly warm day.
- Its Dri-Fit technology allows it to wick away sweat and moisture quite easily.
Why Choose These Basketball Socks:
- If you play other sports aside from basketball, these Nike Men Elite Versatility Basketball Crew Socks are versatile enough to handle your needs.
- The ventilation system makes it perfect for hot climates or during a particularly warm day.
- It has great ankle support and is ideal for guards who do a lot of quick movements that can put a lot of pressure on the ankles.
The Runners-Up for the Best Basketball Socks (still good but a bit lacking)
Under Armour may not have the market share of Nike and Adidas when it comes to basketball apparel but they have socks that are quite effective for any sort of sport. The Under Armour Adult Tactical Heatgear Socks was not only made for basketball but is also a great product of athletes in general.
The name already suggests that the Under Armour Heat Gear is a product you might want to use during a warm day. These socks are so effective at keeping your feet cool and sweat-free because of how the materials were designed to wick away sweat and improve ventilation in your feet.
Moreover, the Under Armour Adult Tactical Heatgear Socks does not seem like it has the flair of other basketball socks just by looking at it but this product actually performs well for basketball and in other sports in general. You are going to love how flexible these socks are on top of how well-cushioned they are near the area of the heels to reduce impact. The support it offers your arch is actually impressive as the compression band firmly grips the middle portion of your foot to reduce fatigue. These also offer great support around the ankle area to minimize injury risks and, as such, are some of the best ankle support socks for basketball.
What Makes the Under Armour Heat Gear Socks Unique:
- Made to be versatile enough for any kind of athlete.
- The materials are very effective at keeping your feet cool and dry while offering the flexibility you need from a good pair of socks.
- The compression bands around the middle of the foot and near the ankle area allows it to give you support for minimizing injuries and foot problems.
Why Choose These Basketball Socks:
- They are good for any athlete in general because of the cushioning and the support it provides for running and jumping.
- Go for these Under Armour Adult Tactical Heatgear Socks if you want to feel confident in the support that your ankles are getting.
- Ideal for athletes and basketball players playing in warm climates and in hot regions.
- Shoe Size: Men 9-12.5, Women 11-13
- Under Armour’s mission is to make all athletes better through passion, design and the relentless pursuit of innovation
- Where we started? It all started with an idea to build a superior T-shirt
- The technology behind Under Armour's diverse product assortment for men, women and youth is complex, but the program for reaping the benefits is simple: wear HeatGear when it's hot, ColdGear when it's cold, and AllSeasonGear between the extremes.
Ever since Nike took over as the official sock maker of the NBA right after Stance basketball socks, several NBA players are now seen using the Nike Men's NikeGrip Power Socks made especially for the league. The socks come in the Quick and the Power variants that both have their own basic functions and intended uses.
The NikeGrip Quick was made for the fast backcourt basketball player because of how flexible it is. It also provides the support your feet need for those quick and explosive ankle-twisting movements. Meanwhile, the NikeGrip Power is less flexible but has more than enough cushioning for those who rely on power and explosiveness when playing.
While these socks maintain the regular features of the Nike Elite, they are a bit more flexible and stretch and do not give the snug fit you might love from the Elite. The Nike Men's NikeGrip Power Socks also are not as versatile as other basketball socks because of how they were designed for specific functions and playing styles. But, overall, if you fancy socks that NBA players use and are good at giving you specific features that fit your style of play, both the Quick and Power offer you good options.
What Makes the NBA NikeGrip Socks Unique:
- The NikeGrip comes in two variants: the Quick and the Power.
- Each of the two variants offers you specific features that should be able to fit your style of play.
Why Choose These Basketball Socks:
- If you are looking for socks that give you flexibility, the Quick is a good option for you.
- Nike Men's NikeGrip Power Socks is good for those who prefer wearing wide shoes and for those who require a lot of padding and cushioning for their explosive style of play.
- Sweat-wicking technology helps keep you dry and comfortable.
- Ventilation in the forefoot promotes cooling. Embroidered graphics.
- Forefoot Lock keeps the foot in place for lateral movement.
- Left/right specific delivers a natural fit. Polyester/Nylon/Cotton/Spandex
- Size M fits men's shoe size 6-8, size L fits men's shoe size 10-13, size XL fits men's shoe size 12-15. Sizes are approximate.
The Value Pick for the Best Basketball Socks
You may not know it as one of the popular basketball sock brands but the Hxst Dri-fit Cushion Basketball Crew Socks offer you great value for the price you are paying for it. Paying under $20 gives you three high-quality socks that were specifically made for basketball and are all good enough to handle your needs out there on the court.
The major selling point of the Hxst Dri-Fit Cushion Basketball Crew socks is that it comes with the cushioning that allows you to feel comfortable regardless of whether you are playing basketball or other sports. They are great for running because of how they are well-padded in the major impact points on your feet.
Aside from that, the Hxst Dri-fit Cushion Basketball Crew Socks also keep your feet firmly in its place because of its high-quality support and its traction. The grip is nice enough and will keep your feet planted on your shoes’ insole. And the best part is that it comes in a wide variety of colors in a pack of three for a price that is quite affordable.
What Makes the Hxst Dri-Fits Unique:
- Comes in a pack of three and gives you the quality you need from good basketball socks but is a lot more affordable.
- It actually is pretty well-cushioned and has the necessary support you should expect from shoes designed for basketball.
Why Choose These Basketball Socks:
- These socks are great for all-around use because of the padding and support they come with.
- Because these Hxst Dri-fit Cushion Basketball Crew Socks are quite affordable and still durable, they are great for basketball training sessions and for simple pick-up games.
FAQ on Basketball Socks
What Material is Best for Basketball Socks?
The best basketball socks on the market are not made of one or two materials but are the combination of many different materials that provide the flexibility, comfort, support, and durability that basketball players need. These performance socks are rarely pure cotton as compared to conventional socks you wear for casual and formal purposes.
You can expect the best basketball socks to have materials such as nylon, polyester, cotton, and spandex. It really usually depends on the brand and on the socks.
For example, the Nike Elite is largely composed of nylon and polyester and has no cotton. But there are still basketball socks that have cotton in them but they are not as durable as the ones made from synthetic materials. That said, synthetic materials are probably the best ones for you’re the best basketball socks.
How Do You Choose What Length Basketball Socks to Buy? Low vs. Mid vs. Crew.
Most performance basketball socks come in different lengths of low, mid, and crew.
While a lot of basketball players prefer the usual crew socks, which are longer in length, choosing the length of your basketball socks usually boils down to personal preferences and on playing styles instead of other reasons.
For example, players who use low-cut basketball shoes usually use crew socks to provide the ankle support their shoes do not provide. These socks are also ideal for guards and for players who require a lot of ankle support for quick movements.
Meanwhile, no-show or low socks are usually a fashion sense but are also ideal for players who want the area above their ankles to feel free. Mid socks are the best of both worlds because they are not too warm and constraining but still provide more than enough support for your ankles.
Does Thickness Matter for Basketball Socks?
Thickness actually is not very important for basketball socks and usually depends on the player’s preference, playing style, and shoes.
Some players prefer light socks instead of thick ones if they want to focus more on the socks’ flexibility.
Meanwhile, thickness may be important for players who need a lot of padding for the style of play they prefer. Of course, thicker socks might be preferable for players who use wide shoes to fill in the gaps.
What Should You Consider for Arch Support?
Arch support is very important for different types of basketball socks especially when you are looking for the best that the market has to offer.
Various socks offer their own different ways of supporting the arch to reduce the fatigue felt by the player’s feet.
However, what usually is the best when it comes to arch support is a compression band that keeps the arch tight yet still very comfortable.
What Socks Do Famous NBA Players Wear?
Different NBA players wear different socks but are usually seen wearing the NikeGrip socks, which are the official socks of the NBA. However, there are also players who use variants of the Nike Elite socks.
Some popular players that have their own signature apparel line with specific sports brands will often wear their own signature socks.
How Long Do Good Basketball Socks Last?
Good basketball socks are made to last for a very long time when compared to conventional cotton socks. The reason is because the best basketball socks are made from synthetic materials such as nylon and polyester while the regular socks you use for casual purposes are made from cotton that can easily wear down with regular use.
That said, you can expect basketball socks to last a lot longer as long as they are made from good high-quality synthetic materials. How long they last is actually quite difficult to estimate because it depends on the regularity of use as well as on the type of playing style you have. However, you can expect good basketball socks to last for years so long as you are using the ones that are of the highest quality.
How to Choose the Best Basketball Socks for You
Choosing the best basketball socks for you should not be a science because it actually is quite easy as long as you look at the following factors:
The length of the basketball socks should depend on your personal preference and playing style and maybe even fashion sense.
Crew – Crew socks are the longest socks you can see in most basketball socks as knee-high socks are now gone and replaced by full compression socks.
Mid – Mid socks sit above the ankle and can be seen a few inches above your ankles.
Low – Low socks or no-show socks are usually hidden underneath the shoes and are below the ankle.
Cushioning and support
Cushioning and support are arguably the most important factors to consider when choosing the best basketball socks for you because these are what set them apart from regular socks. Basketball socks are well-cushioned at the pressure points that take a lot of the impact. Meanwhile, support helps keep the arch and the ankles in place to prevent injuries and to reduce fatigue. Go for the ones with compression bands around the arch and the ankles for support while also choosing the ones with cushioning at the necessary impact points.
Thickness is not really very important but it does play a role when you are choosing your basketball socks. If you have wide shoes or if your playing style requires your feet to have more padding, you need socks that are thicker than normal. Aside from that, thickness might not be as important as the other factors you need to look at when choosing basketball socks.
Summary of the Best Basketball Socks
Wrapping everything up, here are the basketball socks we went over today:
In conclusion, the market is full of good basketball socks made to help you perform at your best. However, if you want socks that stand out more than others, you may want to choose Nike Elite socks and its other variants because they provide you with the versatility, comfort, cushioning, and support you need when you are playing extremely hard.
For those who are looking for other good choices, Under Armour Heat Gear is good for those who usually play in warm climates or in hotter regions. Meanwhile, the NBA NikeGrip and its variants have their own specific purposes for certain preferences and playing styles may not be complete on their own. But for the thrifty ones who do not want to spend a lot on their basketball socks, the Hxst Dri-fit Cushion Basketball Crew socks will do just fine.
As long as the socks give you the quality and comfort you are looking for in your basketball socks, any kind of sock on this list will do just fine for you whenever you are out there on the court playing hard and intense.
If you found this post helpful, check out our other basketball gear reviews here.