The quarantine and the lockout are not going to be ending soon, so why not enjoy your time indoors and get you and the kids playing basketball? One way of doing that is buying yourself mini basketball goals, and we’re going to bring you a rundown of the best mini basketball goals on the market.
A word of caution, though: Because of the rise of the demand of the best mini basketball hoops, a lot of these products that are being sold lack durability. Any product that you can’t use for a long time is a waste of money, that is why we aim to list our most recommended mini basketball goals for indoor use. All of these are tried and tested to be well-built, so we’re confident endorsing them to you.
If you want to get back to playing basketball, get our top pick for the best mini basketball goals here.
Our Favorites for the Best Mini Basketball Goals
Do you want to channel your inner three-point king or Slam Dunk champ right at the comfort of your home? The SKLZ Pro Mini Basketball Hoop makes our way into the list for a variety of reasons:
What Makes It Unique:
- Comes with hooks that fit on most doors.
- Has four styles– standard, XL, Glow in the Dark Standard, and Micro with Foam Ball.
- Has needed features such as the ball and well-sized basketball net that make it a hit for both kids and adults.
One purchaser noted that this could be the best and the worst gift he gave to the kids. Why? He couldn’t make them stop, and all he hears are the bouncing balls in the bedroom! Well, of course, that’s a story for another day, but that is proof how much kids would love having this mini basketball hoops around.
Another possible issue concerning the SKLZ Pro Mini Basketball Hoop is if it’s going to be hooked on doors, the doors won’t close. If that’s the case, then we suggest hooking or mounting it on something different unless you’re OK dealing with that.
Why Choose The SKLZ Pro Basketball Mini Hoop:
- Someone who bought this mini hoop claims he used it almost every day for three years, and it still looks brand new.
- Very easy to assemble.
- It looks like a professional hoop and the backboard is made of sturdy fiberglass.
- Includes pro-grade, spring-action break-away rim for slammin'
- Foam padded slide-on door mounts
- Includes 5" diameter Pro Mini Hoop Basketball
Another perfect option for the best mini basketball goals is from a familiar name– the . It is a quarter-scale replica of the official NBA hoop and backboard and is perfect for your man-cave, your office, or your children’s room.
What Makes It Unique:
- The set , although the fact that it’s not inflated is a bit of a buzzkill.
- Easily mounts on doors.
- The backboard is padded with polycarbonate.
If you want to feel like an NBA player for a moment (all while chuckling about it), the will provide you that pleasure. The only problem that you will be having is, you’ll probably enjoy this mini basketball hoop way too much.
Why Choose Spalding NBA Jam Over-The-Door Mini Basketball Hoop:
- Not indestructible but still very durable. Many purchasers have played with the Spalding NBA Jam for over a year.
- The bendable spring rim makes the the right mini basketball hoop that you can hang on.
Our Runner Ups for the Best Mini Basketball Goals
If someone who bought this product wished he could have given it ten stars, you should definitely consider the RAMgoal Mini Basketball Hoop. Quite frankly, this could be the last one that you could buy because it’s that durable. However, the price tag may not be for everyone.
What Makes It Unique:
- The height can be adjusted for a total of 13 inches up and down.
- The rim is a professional grade breakaway, which means kids can dunk on it all they want.
- The backboard is a giant compared to other mini basketball goals at 24 inches by 16 inches.
The only caveat with the RAMgoal mini basketball hoop is the price. With how much it costs, you can probably buy an old 90s model car. We know not too many people are willing to shed that much dough for a mini hoop, but then again, it may be the most durable product included in this list.
- Incredible durability. One legitimate buyer says it can handle being dunked on again and again by 6-foot-3, 200-plus pound guys.
- If it indeed breaks, it comes with a modified lifetime warranty.
- It is pretty much a professional basketball hoop marketed as an indoor mini basketball goal.
We would like to include one mini basketball hoop with stand in this list, and we decided to go with a familiar name: The SKLZ Pro Mini Hoop Basketball System with Adjustable Pole.
What Makes It Unique:
- As the name suggests, this mini basketball hoop has an adjustable pole, backboard and rim, while having a mobile base.
- Sturdy, shatter-resistant backboard made of polycarbonate and is 33 inches by 23 inches.
- Perfect as a driveway hoop. for kids and adults and even for poolside play
While this mini basketball hoop offers an authentic basketball experience, its durability, especially considering the price, is questionable. Only three bolts are holding the rim, and the rim is not even made of steel. If exposed to harsh weather and elements, it will rust away to oblivion. A viable solution for playing on it outdoors is to bring it back inside after playing and advise the kids not to hang on the rim. That said, it can still be a good buy because of its other features.
Why Choose The SKLZ Pro Mini Hoop Basketball System with Adjustable Pole:
- A purchaser who has a friend that plays in the WNBA complemented this mini by saying it’s the nicest kids hoop she has seen.
- Adjustable from 3 feet to 7 feet, so if you can keep it from rough play, you are not going to buy another mini hoop for your kid in years.
- The base has wheels so you can quickly transfer it whenever and wherever you’d like.
- Complete mini-basketball system includes height-adjustable backboard/rim, pole and mobile base
- Has the look, functionality & durability of a professional-grade basketball system
- Height adjusts up to 7' for court- side play and down to 3' for junior or poolside play
Our Value Picks for the Best Mini Basketball Goals
We’re talking about the best mini basketball hoop, so why not include one for our favorite miniature people– the kids! Designed for kids from 18 months to 5 years old, you will surely build your kids’ basketball foundation with the Little Tikes Easy Score Basketball set.
What Makes It Unique:
- Height can be adjusted to six settings from 2 and a half feet to four feet.
- Very easy to assemble
- It comes with three basketballs, so once you purchase the basketball set, you’re good to go.
It’s quite sad knowing adults could not and should not play with the Little Tikes Easy Score Basketball Set. After all, adults would probably not enjoy playing on a rim that is only 5 feet high. With that said, for kids, it’s a damn near perfect mini basketball hoop.
Why Choose The Little Tikes Easy Score Basketball Set:
- Can be played by children of various ages, from toddlers to preschoolers
- Many international purchasers are pleased with the quality of the product, from the hoop to the balls.
- It is the perfect feel-good toy for children because they can easily make a shot.
- Helps develop your kids’ motor skills and hand-eye coordination.
- Indoor and outdoor basketball hoop adjusts to six heights from 2.5 to 4 feet
- Includes an oversized rim and 3 Junior size basketballs
- Develops social, motor skills and coordination
Some products are made just so the manufacturer can make a lot of money off it while some products are made with love and careful understanding of consumer needs. We feel it’s safe to say that Franklin Sports Over The Door Mini Basketball Hoop fits the latter description to a tee. Here’s why:
What Makes It Unique:
- Designed to fit regular-sized doors and protected by half an inch of EVA foam
- Instead of plastic balls, the set comes with a rubber ball that feels precisely like a regulation basketball.
- Has a dual spring system that can withstand the impact of dunks and long shots
From the above description, you can immediately understand that the Franklin Sports Over The Door Mini Basketball Hoop is designed to last. Here are some more features that might convince you to purchase the product already:
Why Choose The Franklin Sports Over The Door Mini Basketball Hoop:
- Has a shatter-resistant backboard
- Has an LED backboard and an LED lighting so you can keep track of your scoring
- It takes only a few minutes to assemble and put up.
- SHATTER RESISTANT BACKBOARD: We at Franklin play just as hard as you. The backboard on this set has been designed to outperform all other over the door basketball sets in the market
- LEGIT SETUP – This is a solid set. You will be shooting a 5 inch rubber basketball into a 9.5 inch metal rim that’s equipped with a durable 8 loop net.
- DUAL SPRING RIM – Bring your a-game. We have engineered this set to with sand 3-point shots and slam dunks
FAQ on the Best Mini Basketball Goals
How Big is a Typical Mini Basketball Hoop?
Mini basketball hoops do not have a standard, and different manufacturers may create products with different sizes. What we can do is give a range. For instance, a typical rim of a mini basketball goal set is from nine inches to 12 inches. The backboard dimensions can range from 18” x 12” to 32” x 21”.
How Much Does a Mini Hoop Typically Cost?
You can buy excellent quality mini basketball goals typically cost less than two Andrew Jacksons, excluding shipping. Some may go on sale now and then so from a value standpoint, something durable like the recommended mini basketball goals in our list is a remarkable value at that price range. However, some like the SKLZ Pro Mini Hoop Basketball System with Adjustable Pole and the RAMgoal Durable Adjustable Indoor Mini Basketball Hoop and Ball can go for over $100.
Where Should You Install Your Mini Basketball Hoop?
It is absolutely your own discretion to decide where you should install a mini basketball hoop. Still, in this case, the usual suspects are in the bedroom, in your office, in the basement, a spare room, the kids play area or a wall somewhere in your house that can mount a mini basketball hoop.
An ideal recommendation for the installation of mini basketball hoops would be at least an 18-inch distance from the hoop to the ceiling, but if you can have two or more feet of space, go for it. If you have an 8-foot ceiling, install your mini basketball hoop at six feet to get the most enjoyment out of it.
Can You Make Your Own Indoor Mini Basketball Goal at Home?
With do-it-yourself projects becoming the rage these days, we don’t see any reason why you can’t make your own indoor mini basketball goal right at the comfort of your own home. The easiest way to make it, in our opinion, is a thin metal hanger for the rim and then a cardboard for the backboard. That way, the hook of the hanger doubles as a support for the “hoop” when put behind the “backboard.”
The net can be a little tricky if you want it to look like the real deal, but you can make some out of a string or twisted tape. Since the backboard is made out of cardboard, you can “mount” it into your bedroom wall (or any spare wall for that matter) by using masking tape. This is probably not the most durable mini basketball hoop, but hey, if you’re simply looking to take your mind off things for a little bit or improve your hand-eye coordination, all while saving money, this is worth a try.
How to Choose the Best Mini Basketball Goals for You
There are so many variables you need to look out for when choosing the best mini basketball goals. And since there are no situations that are exactly alike, you may favor one over the other, or may even be looking at one factor over anything else. With that being said, let us do a quick breakdown of the factors to consider when deciding to purchase a mini basketball hoop.
- Durability and Quality of Materials. For many, this is at the top of the list and for a good reason. If the materials are not durable and the quality of materials is low, it wouldn’t last; hence, it’s a waste of precious money. In addition to that, kids play rough, and they may throw things other than a basketball to the hoop, which would add unneeded stress to the whole mechanism.
Questions that you should answer with the mini basketball hoops you are looking to purchase are: “Could this thing handle the constant impact of a basketball and rough play?” Keep in mind, though, that the sturdier a product is, the more money you’ll possibly spend on it.
The main parts that contribute to durability are the backboards and the rim itself. Make sure that it’s shatterproof. The last thing that you’d want to happen is if the kids dunk on the rim too hard and shatter the backboard, shards of it could shower over them and may cause eye injuries. Some of the sturdiest backboard materials are polycarbonate and fiberglass, so if you can choose either of them, you are in good hands.
- Value. When we say “value,” it’s not just the initial amount of money that we’re talking about here. We’re also talking warranties, replacement parts, and the like. If the company offers a warranty and replacement parts or if you can easily find spare parts at the local hardware in case something breaks, you can probably use the product longer than usual. If it needs to be thrown away at the very first sign of damage, you are not getting the most out of that product.
- Size. Not everyone has enough space for bigger goals, so you must consider where to put your mini basketball hoop. Some can be played outdoors (especially if it comes with a stand or pole), while some may only be fit for bedroom or playroom use. Sometimes, the fun is in how appropriate and fitting all the moving parts, so be sure to consider this factor ahead of time.
- Budget. Mini basketball goals are priced differently, so you better ask yourself how much you are willing to spend. There are genuinely great products out there that would not break your wallet, so it’s not like it’s a desperate situation to be in. However, if you’d like something that would last or be height-adjustable, that’s probably going to cost four to five times more.
- Accuracy. Most, if not all, of the best mini basketball goals, took the extra mile to make sure that their products come close to the real thing. Breakaway rims, fiberglass backboard, LED lightings, and even replica balls can all come with the purchased set. It’s not the most important thing, but for aesthetic purposes, a mini basketball goal’s accurate rendition of a pro basketball hoop can add a little spice to the fun.
- Safety. It was already mentioned how quality materials contribute to the security of your children, especially when it comes to shattered backboards. That said, there are also other things about safety that you need to consider: Are the basketballs that come with the set soft, or can it break things? Softer balls will undoubtedly be a better option if the mini basketball hoop is intended for the kids. It also makes less noise, so that would be a nice bonus if that means not getting upset with the nonstop sounds of a bouncing ball.
Wrapping Things Up: The Best Mini Basketball Goals
Putting everything together, in this guide we reviewed the following:
Mini basketball hoops are an excellent way to relax by sinking a few shots right in the comfort of your own home. Or it’s also a brilliant method to develop your child’s interest in sports, hand-eye coordination, or simply giving them a physical activity so they won’t be in front of the Xbox and iPad the whole day.
With our list of six, we are confident that we are giving you the best mini basketball goals currently available in the market. The SKLZ Pro Mini Basketball Hoop and the top the list as the favorites since we feel they are an excellent combination of value, durability, budget, and safety. They are also made by popular brands that have been around for a while now.
For our runner ups, the RAMgoal Durable Adjustable Indoor Mini Basketball Hoop and the SKLZ Pro Mini Hoop Basketball System with Adjustable Pole are listed because they are not budget-friendly. Make no mistake about it, these products are durable, but they cost four to five times more than the SKLZ Pro Mini Basketball Hoop and the Spalding NBA Jam. For some, that’s an instant deal-breaker, but they deserve a spot on this list because of their features.
Lastly, the Little Tikes Easy Score Basketball Set and Franklin Sports Over The Door Mini Basketball Hoop rounds up our list as the value picks for the best mini basketball goals. They have the lowest prices in the group, and in the case of Little Tikes Easy Score, they are only designed for toddlers and preschoolers. However, if it is used for the intended patrons, it will bring a lot of fun to your toddlers’ playtime.
Did you find this helpful? Then also check out other basketball gear reviews here