* If you don’t read Mike Moreau’s stuff over on Hoopsworld you need to fix that problem. He’s one of the better minds in the game and it’s only a matter of time before ESPN or one of the other big boys ink him to a big deal. By reading his stuff now you can start learning from his vast knowledge of the game and brag to buddies you’ve been reading him for years once he becomes rich and famous working for a major site.
* The Minnesota Timberwolves are running a great promotion in an attempt to help Kevin Love garner some consideration for Rookie of the Year. And apparently the Chicago Bulls have sent out a package to voters involving some lame 3D glasses.
* If you’re in Detroit this weekend for the Final Four make sure you check out the NCAA’s free music concert hosted on the Detroit Riverfront. Inside this festival area, fans are invited to join the AT&T Block party featuring N.E.R.D. and numerous other bands.
* Are you looking for a fun way to kill some time once your favorite NBA teams season ends? Check out OneSeason.
* Is Ettore Messina poised to be the next head coach of the Raptors? I’ve been hearing his name bandied about for years and I can easily admit it makes a lot of sense to bring him into the mix at some point. However, Bryan Colangelo is a huge fan of Jay Triano and with the team currently in the middle of a five-game winning streak it’s still highly possibly Triano will be back at the helm next season.
* adidas has jumped all over Green Week and have released a special t-shirt. Here’s part of the press release Kristen sent me: ” Green Week runs April 2 – April 10 and is designed to generate awareness and funding to protect the environment. Each NBA team will lead specific green initiatives including special on-court apparel, auctions to support environmental preservation organizations and hands-on community service projects. ” I was impressed to find out the Denver Nuggets, Charlotte Bobcats, and the Chicago Bulls will wear green-colored uniforms and socks made from 45 percent organic cotton during select home games throughout the week to raise additional environmental awareness. Here’s a look at the t-shirt adidas is producing for this week.
* Check out this press release I got from Amanda Thorn at the NBA: “The National Basketball Association (NBA), Mengniu and Shandong TV today announced the launch of the NBA’s first-ever reality show, Mengniu NBA Basketball Disciple. A preview of the show was screened today at a press conference attended by Vice President of NBA China, Mr. David Yang, Managing Director Television & Digital Media NBA China, Ms. Kathy Sun, Vice President of Mengniu Group, Mr. Bai Ying, Chief Editor of Shandong TV, Ms. Zhu Lihua and NBA Legend Darryl Dawkins. The reality show will follow a three-month basketball competition that begins filming tomorrow with public tryouts in 64 cities throughout mainland China. The players will compete in a variety of skills competitions and be awarded points based on performance over the course of four rounds. Following a final All-Star Game in the last round, the player with the most cumulative points will be crowned the Most Valuable Player of the competition and win an all-expenses-paid trip to the United States for a tryout with a team from the NBA Development League, the NBA’s official minor league. NBA Legends and scouts, along with an NBA coach, will appear throughout the series to run competitions, evaluate players, award points and determine which competitors advance to the next round. An NBA mascot and dance team will be onsite to provide entertainment for NBA fans.”
* I just got an email from a Coke Zero rep informing me: “Coke Zero has just put the finishing touches on it’s new “Taste the Madness” TV commercial that you previously posted about. Airing right before tip-off of the NCAA Championship game on Monday night, the spot features videos and photos uploaded by fans to http://www.tastethemadness.com (there were over 1,000 submissions). There are 61 fans who will be featured in the commercial, representing schools such as Duke, Arizona State, University of Kentucky, University of South Carolina, Iowa State, Florida A&M, and University of Illinois.Videos/photos that will be included in the commercial include the Iowa State Gorilla, Florida A&M Snake Pit, and Illinois Alma Mater (this one features Will Leitch — Deadspin founder & NY Mag contributor).”